Guam diving with budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LW:
Hi Bill22,

I'm quite new - received my open water certification this May and have only dived 6 times altogether. I'd most probably want a guide with me, and MDA charges $170 for a dive with a guide. $200 including equipment rentals.

I'm thinking about GTDs because it's $93 with a guide and equipment rentals etc etc, but I have heard something about GTDs being a cattle dive? Is that true? And is MDA a cattle dive too?

For $200 per dive with MDA, that's really expensive, and I'm not sure if I want to go with them...but if it's safer with them...

Are you in Guam? Is there a particular reason that you want to dive there?

For that kind of money I'd go to the Philippines instead. You'll typically pay $25-$30 dollars per dive there and that includes a guide. Great diving in Guam, but you see a lot more in the Philippines. Most areas of the Philippines, I average a $100-$125 dollars a day there for diving and that's 4 dives a day. That includes tanks, weights, the boat, and a guide. You can pay a bit more or a bit less depending on where you go and if you negotiate a package. It's not much further to fly to the Philippines than to Guam if you're in the US.

LW,

There are several options. As I said earlier, MDA has the free weekend guided shore dives. You just pay for the air tank rental. You can also, for about the same price you quoted, get an Advanced Open Water class - it includes five dives, dives that apply to the specialty courses, and an advanced open water certification. There are lots of options on Guam - you can go to the MDA web site (mdaguam.com) or call them for details on both the free weekend shore dives and the AOW course.

Jim

LW:
Hi Bill22,

I'm quite new - received my open water certification this May and have only dived 6 times altogether. I'd most probably want a guide with me, and MDA charges $170 for a dive with a guide. $200 including equipment rentals.

I'm thinking about GTDs because it's $93 with a guide and equipment rentals etc etc, but I have heard something about GTDs being a cattle dive? Is that true? And is MDA a cattle dive too?

For $200 per dive with MDA, that's really expensive, and I'm not sure if I want to go with them...but if it's safer with them...

At GTDS, you can park right outside the front door any time of the day, any day of the week. At MDA, you're lucky to find a spot even close to the parking lot, much less in it. There's a good reason for that.

But either way, during the week you're going to be on a boat packed full of Japanese tourists. Weekends are different. Then you'll be on a boat packed full of locals.

I would think that if you check the buddy finder and/or get on the MDA Facebook page you really wouldn't have too much trouble scaring up a dive buddy, even during the week. Plenty of good shore diving here, too. I typically see more stuff shore diving than boat diving. As soon as you drop 25 divers in the water here anything that resembles food to a spear fisherman scatters, unlike say Palau or Yap.

What are your plans for coming to Guam?

An AOW course is also a good idea. That will give you more dives under the supervision of an instructor. Like was mentioned also checking out facebook or using the buddyfinder would also be a good source.... if you live in Guam? Is there a reason you are choosing Guam?

The one time that I went, I was living in Japan at the time and had friends from Japan who invited me to come on and dive with them. Because I set up my trip separate, I actually got there a day earlier and left a day later. I had already made 5 dives by the time they arrived :wink: I was just matched with someone on the boat. Once they got there we did a fair amount of shore diving and some boat dives as well. 5 Star with MDA was defintley the way to go there. Made it really cheap to dive. I also met someone while I was there that allowed me one more dive day than my friends because of our flight times :)

I liked the diving there, but don't think I would go again, especially if I were flying from the US.

Is there a reason you are choosing Guam?

I haven't gotten the impression that it's a special diving trip at all. I assume that they're either local or recently moved military, and are looking to get back into diving after the OW class. Loads of people on Guam in a similar situation.

I also recommend the guided MDA beach tours on weekends. You pay for nothing but gear rental and the guide chooses sites based on the experience of whoever shows up. Just make sure you have booties, and not full foot fins, as well as a snorkel for long surface swims.

LW,

I would still look at MDA. (Lived there for 2 years - moved last Oct) If you hit me off line, I can put you into contact with some instructors who can give you a refresher class and help you out - likely for much less than you were quoted. You should also know that there are 2 free dives offered daily on weekends led by a very educated, careful and skilled person. These are slow and simple shore dives with ample reliable regulars who shepherd new divers. You would be welcomed and assisted. They even put up with and assisted me!

RT

Well I did ask him twice and he didn't respond. Sanjac, the original guy who responded to LW did make a special trip to Guam. The impression I had was they were in similar situations. If he just got certified in May and he's in Guam why isn't he asking his instructor where to dive? That makes no sense. He said he's a newbie.

If he's in Guam then all the advice that everyone has given still stands. Go with MDA and the 5 star Club, check the MDA facebook group, and take advantage of the free shore dives that are offered there on the weekends or take an AOW course to gain more experience. There are plenty of dive sites in Guam suited to a beginner. IMHO, there is absolutely NO reason for him have to hire a dive guide.

If he's in the mainland US, there are plenty of places closer for him to dive at. I know a lot of you live in Guam and I tried very hard to get orders there myself because the diving is great. But there are plenty of other spots that are great also and IMHO make more sense than flying to Guam.

I don't think anyone has recommended GTDS which should tell him something. I think he's gotten plenty of advice now no matter what his situation is... Now it's up to him to decide what he wants to do :)

Last edited:
Weird - it left off half of my post. Reposting...

Hey Bill,

I agree - plenty of advice given. If he's stationed in Guam, he'll have plenty of dives under his belt in no time.

They finally transferred me off of Guam after four years. Now my diving has come to an abrupt halt. :( I'll miss that place. Maybe you'll get there in your next set of orders? :)

Jim

Regarding the matter of a dive guide (and the extra cost), it says on their web site that if you are not local, they require a dive guide but the cost varies depending on the number of people associated with the guide. While it does add a lot to the cost of the dive if you want to do several days of diving., I guess it's their way if minimizing the potential of an accident.

I dove with MDA for several years. They have many tourists from off island and I have never seen them require a personal dive guide. It may state so on the web site, but I have never seen it enforced. I have seen them refuse to allow a diver to dive from their boat due to safety violations but never heard of them requiring dive guides for off islanders.

Back
Top Bottom