Stranded Pilot Whales need your help in Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad news!

Third Stranded Pilot Whale Euthanized, 2 Remain « CBS Miami

KEY LARGO (CBS4)- Officials at a Florida Keys-based marine mammal rehabilitation center Saturday euthanized the third of seven surviving pilot whales that stranded May 5 off the lower Florida Keys.

A female calf, in critical condition since the stranding, did not respond to treatment for kidneys that began failing several days ago, said Robert Lingenfelser, of the Marine Mammal Conservancy. Officials decided to relieve the whale of further suffering.

A necropsy is to be conducted by a MMC veterinarian and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries personnel.

One other whale remains in critical condition and one is stable.

Lingenfelser said volunteers are still needed to help rehabilitate remaining whales.

MMC personnel euthanized the first surviving pilot whale May 13 and a second May 25. Two were released two days after the stranding.

Volunteer Time For the Whales

Several Key Largo hotels are offering reduced-rate accommodations for visitors who want to join round-the-clock efforts to rehabilitate three surviving pilot whales recovering at the Florida Keys-based Marine Mammal Conservancy (MMC).

The “voluntourism” initiative is being aided with specially priced $69 (plus tax) per night rooms for visitors who volunteer at least one four-hour shift, good for up to five days Sunday through Thursday nights.

“This is your chance to make a difference,” said Key Largo hotelier Adrian Besil, general manager of the Bayside Inn Key Largo. “Now you can come to Key Largo and be part of something unique. You have an opportunity to help save pilot whales that stranded in the Florida Keys.”

Beth Painchaud, from Alpharetta, Ga., came to Key Largo on a scuba vacation with her family.

“I cannot believe I have the opportunity to hold and care for a whale,” Painchaud said. “Whoever would have that in their lifetime? I couldn’t not take advantage of that on vacation.”

When a traveler completes a four-hour shift, MMC representatives award the volunteer a voucher that must be presented to a participating hotel to receive the special rate. Volunteers are encouraged to participate in multiple shifts.

There is a myriad of things to do for the 20-plus volunteers needed per shift at MMC.

Duties include supporting the whales while in the water (a minimum age of 18 is required), land-based activities such as answering phones, helping out in the fish kitchen, or around the site to keep it clean. Shore duties can be performed by teens under 18.

The MMC is located at mile marker 102.1 on the bayside.

The accommodations list and more details are available at Florida Keys & Key West vacation planning starts here with the Official Florida Keys Tourism Council.

The Indian Valley Scuba gang is headed back down in July to continue the volunteer effort at the MMC. We are also conducting another fundraising drive before the trip to bring some badly needed supplies down to the center!

Jet- that is so sad... hopefully the last remaining two will survive. Need to get back down there..

Jet- that is so sad... hopefully the last remaining two will survive. Need to get back down there..

J - I just signed up for next week Monday (6/27) noon-4pm. I can't do a double or stay down there any longer. But if you want to carpool again let me know. I enjoy the company!

Kinda figured it might be 302.
Jet, would love to join ya.. will let you know later in the week.

Just did another shift with "the girls" today. 301 (the baby) is in a pen by herself. She is doing fine. One person basically sits out there and watches. She swims around, keeping an eye on 300 and the goings-on.

300 is in guarded condition. They said she is slowing improving but it is still weeks (months?) before they will know if she can be released.

Maybe because I knew what to expect I was able to process everything more quickly this time. I scribed the first half of my shift. We checked heart rate and breath count every hour. They do physical therapy every 30 minutes. Sometimes manipulate the tail, sometimes have her swim into a generated current, sometimes free swim around the pen. I had to write everything down. Then I was assigned primary position. The main thing is to keep her blow hole free of water - not easy with a wiggly 1200 lb whale. I was right by her head and mouth as they fed her fish!

On my shift today there was a retired school teacher from Sarasota, a psychiatrist from Miami, a dad and son down here on vacation from Ohio, four office buddies from Delray who took the day off together to do this. Just such a unique gathering from all walks of life, united in the one common goal.

It's such an incredible opportunity - to help the whales, of course, but also to connect at this level with total strangers. I highly recommend volunteering if you have a chance.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom