Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a dive computer as soon as I did my ow. I know that I will need one in the future, so better to get one now and learn how to use it properly.
Even though the diving I do as a new diver is relatively shallow and it is unlikely that anything but air will be my limiting factor, I like the additional security. I still use a watch and depth gauge on my console of course.
I got a Mares puck, which I find easy to read and use. I was going to get a "watch" size one, but I reckon the bigger the display the better.

I bought a water activated computer, because it came with a set of regs

also bought an Aladdin Pro air then forked out for a battery total $25.00

recently a Vr3 and will require a university enrolment to try to operate it

any of which would do most Joes an entire diving lifetime of computing.

Oceanic VEO 100 NX wrist, a couple of years ago mint, for eighty bucks

a set of six steak knives new, DIR for five bucks, from the German shop

the guy that soldered the battery into the Pro got beer, and gave it back

I also got a cheap dive computer right after I got certified (also a Mares Puck), because I live in a location where I can dive several times each month throughout the year. If I got my c-card during a vacation and lived somewhere far from any dive sites, I would have waited though.

Totally agree. If you're just an occasional diver. It's better to simply rent a dive computer but then again if you have extra cash to burn having your own computer is better. Familiarity with your computer makes diving safer.

All else a good knowledge of the Wheel and and good discipline in planning your dive and diving your plan is very much okay also.

It all depends. Yes computers are very nice and make your dive much more enjoyable and make your whole dive more efficient, but on the other hand they can be cost prohibitive depending on your income. Something I use to help me rationalize whether or not the piece of gear I am thinking about purchasing is worth it is ask myself several questions. The first of which is "Why do I want this piece of gear? If I get it will it serve a function for me or is it just something I think is cool and want?" The second question I ask myself is "What is the dive to dollar ratio probably going to work out to be?" By this I mean that I think about the number of dives I anticipate doing per year and comparing the dives to the cost because to me the more dives per year I do with a piece of gear the cheaper it will appear to me. For example if a piece of gear costs $1000 and I plan on doing 50 dives per year I will end up spending $20 per dive for that piece of gear whereas if I plan on only doing 10 dives a year it would cost me $100 per dive for that piece of gear.

So after that tangent I am trying to say if you plan on doing a fair number of dives per year it is definitely worth getting a computer, however if you only plan on diving say 5 times a year the cost may not be worth it unless you can get one for a fairly cheap price. The same goes for if you only plan to go on trips and dive. If you can get a computer cheap or a decent used computer then I would most definitely recommend getting one, but I would also recommend asking yourself the same questions I ask myself to help rationalize whether or not you should get a computer.

I ended up with a few used console computers that came with reg sets when I started accumulating gear, one of which is not too bad for recreational dives using air as a breathing gas. I bought a used DiveRite Nitek Duo off the classifieds on this website and love it. It cost about the same as a used Oceanic Veo 100, but it allows me to program in two separate Nitrox mixes, and has a gauge mode that I can use with trimix later on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom