Fein Pneumatic Hacksaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad W

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody have experience with Fein Air Hacksaws? I'm looking mainly for cutting 4-6" steel spud poles and larger wooden pilings.

Why dont you burn the steel? sorry no help with hack saw, we use hydraulic chainsaw for piles.

I came into the saw cheap but haven't op checked it yet. I guess I was trying to get some feedback on it before I spent any money on maintenance (if needed).

It really looks a lot safer than the hyd. chainsaws for blackwater. I have seen some ugly stuff with chainsaws on dry land with perfect viz.

I agree on the torches being simple and easy but with the clamp on this saw you get some pretty serious stand off when cutting. You will end up being about 3' from the spud. Might be a face saver if you get ahold of a spud that's still loaded.

If I get this thing running I will let you know how it does.

Yeah, I've used them before for cutting steel pipeline, smallest i've used them on is 2", largest is 8". I've used the
hydraulic version more than i've used the pneumatic version(but as long as you've got a decent compressor with some cajones to it and you arent working very deep and you are generous with the lubrication and religious with your maintenance of the saw it should work pretty close to as well). Simple, easy to use...biggest problem is your kerf closing on you and pinching/breaking your blades pretty frequently. Try to guess which way your kerf will want to open and position your base so that your saw enters on that side. Get that base @$$hole tight, its worth the time, that saws gonna vibrate that thing like crazy and if it slides on you while you cut it'll break your blade or bind it up and it'll be hard to line it back up in black water. If you find your kerf is closing on you, or in black water that your saw is slowing/bogging down, take the saw off the base and flip it over to finish your cut from the opposite side. Keep your fingers out of that kerf and your body out of the way of those spud poles, bring some small wedges(for beating into your kerf to force it to stay open if all else fails), a beater, an extra blade, or two, I like to tape them a few feet back on the hose, and the wrench to change the blades. Practice changing those blades out before you get in, you're gonna end up wondering what to do with 3 little tiny pieces parts(i stuff em in my glove...) and oh yeah, give some thought to which side of your cut you mount that base to :wink:

Dive Safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom