Canon SLR filters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hotpuppy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just made the leap to a SLR for my dive photography. When I was using a point and shoot I started using a color correction filter and really liked the results. What are my options for color correcting on a SLR? Does someone make a filter that is similar to what Ikelite uses?

If you are using a strobe and set your white balance you shouldn't need a filter. However there is a product called "Magic Filter" which you can cut and custom fit to your lens. For the Tokina 10-17 you have to cut it and tape it to the rear of the lens. There is a learning curb.

I have a set of filters made by Hoya for my canon. I only use it on dry land, but they screw on to the end of your lens. I have no idea which would be appropriate for underwater, but they do have a whole line for a plethora of results.

On my last trip I experimented with natural light photography, basically using a ikelite color correcting filter and no strobe. It worked extremely well and produced good shots with few issues. I was hoping to go that route again on my next trip.

WOW! That is the most awesome camera imaginable (IMHO) and the one I drool over! You do not need filters with it, It is also my opinion that filters actually cause you produce worse images. I shoot the T1i currently in an ikelite housing.

Not to be a complete jerk but you need to sit down and Read THE MANUAL. Put the camera in your lap with the book and go through everything it does.

The answer to what you want it to do is on Page 65 - 66 There you will read how to set a manual white balance. Get yourself a white slate and learn how to do that, and you will be astonished with the results. If you were in Michigan, I could teach you, but I am sure that there is an underwater photo pro near you to help. Make sure you set your white balance for every depth you want to shoot at. For example, Doing a dive to 60 ft, set the WB. When you come up shallower, Set it again. You can figure it out with practice.

The answer is always in the manual.

Hope this helps,
Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom