Flounders! And MORE. Front Beach, Rockport, MA- Dive Report & Pics, Tues 6/28/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sure, it may seem like a one-trick pony, but Front Beach continues to ring my chimes.... :D

I've had plenty of excuses for not diving much this year, but I brought my scuba gear this time on our usual 1-week June vacation in Rockport. That would take fuel costs off my list of excuses and I was glad it did, as the flounders were as plentiful as I've ever seen them! I was able to get a full limit of nice-sized winter flounders, 15-16 inches long, passing up numerous legal, but smaller ones.

It was mid-morning, sunny, about 80 degrees, with a light wind and calm seas, with small swells from recent off-shore storms.

My dive prep schedule took a pleasant detour when I was approached by a crippled and bent 89-year-old homeless man who had slept on the beach the previous night. "El Mundo es mi casa", he said, apparently seeking to open up conversation. Our dialog turned out to be articulate and very wide ranging and touched on many topics, which he sprinkled with humor and not a hint of regret, complaint or neediness. His peaceful, soft voice, even harder to hear with his head wrenched severely forward by apparent arthritis, made me lean in. He said, "I try to never miss a sunrise, they are so beautiful." Topics quickly, but logically progressed, including his present chosen condition of homelessness. "I highly value the inebriated state", he said matter-of-factly with a slight smile. Before I knew it, an hour had flown by!

Thankfully, he postponed his own schedule, I think, to be around to see and hear about interesting things from my dive. I was happy to have a chance to formally wish him well on his journey. Front Beach often brings interesting people, but he was a real diamond in the rough! :)

With no regret, I got into the water later than planned, about 90 minutes after full flood tide. I took the 90* heading along the base of the rocky shoal heading toward Bearskin Neck. I was quickly amazed at the decent vis of 15 to 30', 60* water and the large number of good-sized flounder, sometimes as many as four keepers grouped together! That let me be more choosy, but I still steadily added to my catch bag. A 3-foot striper soon came sniffing around as did schools of pollock by the dozens, probably also on the scent of my catch. I saw several keeper-sized lobsters, but they were safe, as I'm deemed not eligible to be licensed to take them.... The long, relaxing dive was capped when I was engulfed by a huge school of sandeels in the shallows. Somehow, Front Beach, as routine as it is, again provided a wonderful experience! But then, I'm easy to please, I guess.... :)

Dive stats: Single late morning dive, 120 minutes, 36' max depth, vis 15 to 30' (measured 30' horizontal vis at a depth of 25'), water temp 60* shallow and down to 52* below the 26' thermocline. Good hunting.

Pics follow.

Dave C

A nice 16-inch winter flounder.
P6281464_CCR_Sat_R1000_SB.jpg

Trying to get a pic of a flounder became difficult at times....
P6281442_CCR_R1000_SB.jpg

A nice sight!
P6281438_CCR_M-Cr_Sat_R1000_SB.jpg

A striper about 3 feet long.
P6281429_CCR_M-Cr_R1000_SB.jpg

A large school of sand eels.
P6281469_CCR_R1000_SB.jpg

Front Beach, as seen from the water.
P6281472_ACt_R1000_SB.jpg

A very nice catch for one dive!
DSC06081_ACt_Ro_M-Cr_R1000_SB.jpg

Last edited:
Great post. Im going there for a long wknd at the end of August with my gear. it will be my first time diving there and I cant wait.

A terrific write up, commentary on life at the beach + wonderful picture of very skittish fish - striper and pollock?

I gotta' get in the water after this write up!

Cheers,

X

Thanks for the post Dave. I was just popping in to post a "where are all the fish?" topic. Was at Back Beach on Sunday and Pebble today. Been seeing the usual ton of cunner, a couple tautogs, stray pollock and flounder, but that's really been it. Maybe the fish are all having fun at Front Beach!

Eileen

Dave....I like your markings on your pole spear....let me guess....flounder and Tautog? I have the same...but I have to add Black Sea Bass and Fluke... The spear gonna look like a Freaken ''Candy Cane''

Dave that was a great report !! the part i liked the best was the meeting with the homeless man, you never know whats going on, sometimes a angel in disgise. good for you man !

Thanks to everyone for their comments! Sorry for my delay in responding, but I was out SCALLOPING! (Dive report incoming! :eyebrow:)

You always do such nice reports dave.....as I say to my grandson...''that deserves a fruitsnack''

What, "cookie" is out of style now? I'm old-fashioned, ya know! :wink:

Great post. Im going there for a long wknd at the end of August with my gear. it will be my first time diving there and I cant wait.

If needed, be sure to post here for tips. You may have seen it already, but Cape Ann Divers' website is very informative (see "Find a Dive Site"). The shop is excellent, too:

Welcome to Cape Ann Divers! cape ann divers, cape ann diving, boston diving, scuba boston, massachusetts diving, scuba massachusetts, new england scuba diving, scuba new england, north eastern usa scuba diving, scuba resorts usa, boston dive boat div

A terrific write up, commentary on life at the beach + wonderful picture of very skittish fish - striper and pollock?

I gotta' get in the water after this write up!

Thanks! The big striper was a little stand-offish. I've actually had big ones almost bump my catch bag in the past. This guy would barely come into camera range, although he circled for at least 3 minutes.

That was unlike the schools of pollock, as they were their typical nosy and carefree selves, not skittish at all; it was getting a little spooky when they would suddenly dart into view from the side or overhead. Why can't they just approach slowly from a respectful distance like most other fish? :rofl3:

Thanks for the post Dave. I was just popping in to post a "where are all the fish?" topic. Was at Back Beach on Sunday and Pebble today. Been seeing the usual ton of cunner, a couple tautogs, stray pollock and flounder, but that's really been it. Maybe the fish are all having fun at Front Beach!

I don't know why, but I've always found more flounder at Front Beach than Back Beach and heard the same from other divers. The edges of the shoals where the rocks meet the sand seem to be their favorite, especially if there are sandy gaps between rocks.

Dave....I like your markings on your pole spear....let me guess....flounder and Tautog? I have the same...but I have to add Black Sea Bass and Fluke... The spear gonna look like a Freaken ''Candy Cane''

Good guess, but we rarely see tautogs up here. I've got a tape mark for winter flounder at 12" and summer flounder (fluke) at 17" (or thereabouts, I forget the regulations). Come to think of it, we rarely see summer flounder the past few years (wish we did). Are you seeing fluke around Cape Cod?

Dave that was a great report !! the part i liked the best was the meeting with the homeless man, you never know whats going on, sometimes a angel in disgise. good for you man !

Hey, watch it now, I'm a card-carrying Cynic from way back, and damn proud of it.... In fact, I've learned more about his reputation since meeting him and his real story is apparently less heroic and uplifting. Nevertheless, for now, I'll reserve judgment and just appreciate his indomitable spirit and honest self-appraisal, since that's what I saw. That's as close to being naive as I want to go.... :rofl3:

Anyway, my upcoming scallop dive report should quicken your pace on your boat re-build. All I'll say for now is that I got my full TEN pounds of meat and one of the dives required me to actually deploy my spare "Wishful Thinking" bag that I've been bringing down in case I ever hit the MOTHERLODE. My big yellow 20+ gallon custom catch bag was COMPLETELY full and could barely be closed AND I was still in a scallop bed GOLD MINE! The bed was so good that scallops were STILL IN VIEW when low air finally FORCED me to leave the bottom, dammit! Oh, the TEMPTATION! (That's one danger of scalloping in good vis!) As it was, I had JUST enough air for a 3-minute safety stop.... I might consider bringing more air than just my 120 plus 30 pony.... At least I'm getting smarter by preparing my lift bag well before the absolute LAST moment! :D

Dave C

Last edited:
Yes, I miss these dives in Rockport ! Whatever we say, wherever we are, divrs are always different and bring many different things. But Rockport is a special one for me, where I had the honor to dive with you several times, learn the flounder hunting and seeing my kids eyes when coming back home with the fresh food dinner ! Here I am, showing them the pictures, being not too far (NJ) and they ask if I could get some more when we will be up there next week... Thanks for posting these reports, I've not posted much but been reading regularly what was going on... I didn't bother to bring my equipment with me as I knew this was too much hassle, but it would be worth it, definitely.

Keep us dreaming, all of us :) And yes, you probably had an Angel's visit as DS said, maybe not your first one either.

Thanks so much to you and all fellow scibaboarders in NE :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom