What tanks are you diving on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with double 80s at 3450psi and find them perfect in terms of weight vs capacity. I am not sure I would be able to lift double 119s off the ground at all.

DIR guys use AL cylinders for the ocean if they're wearing a wetsuit.
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

I agree. Big tank can be near impossible to lift off. Also, getting up a boat ladder with humongous tanks and choppy weather is close to being in hell. On several occasions I have had to go into the water to clip off a line to someone's kit because they couldn't get up the ladder with their doubles + they were near total exhaustion. Pulling up someone's giganto twin kit replete with canister light, regs, etc can be a Herculean feat in lumpy seas.

X

Mostly PST E-Series HP-80.

Occasionally PST HP (3500 PSI) 100 CF, Faber MP72, LP72 and even an AL80 if appropriate or I come up short.

My wife usually makes dive one with a 100 CF PST (3500 PSI) and may go HP80 for dive 2.

Pete

COUPLE suggestions

Go with low pressure steel tanks to go over again why, well you can get them filled at any fill station and the high pressure ones you can't get filled fully everywhere. A lot of places with "cave" fill or overfill them either on purpose or accident so that lp 100 suddenly becomes a 140 cf tank (get the point). I have a friend with lp 120's double and gets them overfilled and now has 360 cf of gas and only takes one set of doubles on the boat. It looks like a jet pack but hey it works for him.

Make sure to have din valves and hopefully your regs are din and you do not need an adapter.

Also probably the most IMPORTANT as you mention doubling them later check to make sure they are the same EXACT size now when you buy them. Take the boots off etc... and make ABSOLUTELY SURE. it would be a PITA later to figure that out.

I had HP 119s diving a single set up on a BPW. I now use those bottles for drive gas and transfills for the twin 23s I use.

I lived in boston for 2 years and had similar dilema... I went finally for a single 119 and never regretted it. No problem to get a fill either. But if yu plan to go doubles, I would highly recommend going to 100's the 119 are really heavy and ideal as single tank but I would not go with twins 119... So your choice should be made on whether you will stay with a single or go doubles... It's like choosing a wing, there is never a universal solution... You need to pick the size that is relevNt for your dives. NE diving is typically not too deep and nothing can't be done with a single HP119 :)

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go with doubles of HP 100's. Figured good for two tank dives and then will double them up later on.

Back
Top Bottom