Mares Icon BC question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KP3S

Contributor
Reaction score
Isabela, Puerto Rico, 3 miles from the Atlantic Co
# of dives
200 - 499
I own a Mares Icon BC for the last 3 months and I just noticed while washing the BC that a small amount of air is leaking from the seam and the fabric at the top of the air bladder. What should I do to correct this problem, I dive regulary during the month, like 3-5 dives per week when weather permits.

Is there any kind of liquid I could apply to the bladder to correct this problem. Thanks for the help.

Are you sure that the actual bladder is leaking or is there just air trapped between the bladder and the fabric that is coming out? When left inflated, does the BC loose air?

Fully inflate the BC. Check the pressure, check again in an hour.

Yes, the air bladder is leaking at the seams. I did find a telephone number for the Mares distributor in Florida and they told me that this particular model of BC has that problem. They have discontinued this model but lots of stores still sells them. I can not get a replacement bladder because they have none in stock. They offer me to sent the BC back for trade-in and they will sell me a upgraded BC at a discounted price. Well the 2 year warranty is not what they claim.

I will never buy another Mares product ever. I have repaired the leak with McNett seal cement going thru the right top valve. It was not easy but I found the seam that was leaking and applied seal cement. Now I will wait 24 hours and try it tomorrow to see if it holds. So far the air bladder is holding air.

Do not buy a Mares Icon BC, Mares has discontinued this BC and do not even have any air cells to sell, I was told this information from the main distributor in Florida. The only thing they could do for me was to sent the BC back to Mares in trade-in for another model. 2 year warranty is a joke!

If you bought it from a dealer they should be able to do a warranty exchange for it.

(If you did not buy it from a dealer, then...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom