July 4th weekend dive report...Destin and Pensicola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Did 6 dives in the Destin area and 4 dives in the Pensicola (including the big "0") this last weekend. Where the week before was octopus, this weekend was frog fish and new species (well, to me anyway).

After seeing Hetland's fish pictures on the Big "O" of a bunch of species I don't have images of, I made plans for at trip there on Sunday, but before then, I did the typical Destin "reef" dive.

Vis on the surface sucked, but at the bottom it was at least 60 feet. There were nudibranch and frog fish everywhere...

nudi_2011_07_40.jpg

nudi_2011_07_41.jpg

nudi_2011_07_30.jpg

frogfish_2011_07_31.jpg

Most of the time, people completely miss frog fish. Part of the reason is that they can contort themselves and color match almost anything:

frogfish_2011_07_33.jpg

Sometimes the colors are absolutely amazing:

frog_fish_2011_07_41.jpg

frog_fish_2011_07_42.jpg

Saw another spotted scorpion fish, only this one was a young one:

sc_fish_2011_07_01.jpg

Now for the interesting stuff.

I came across what I thought at the time was a spotted eel...but it was not:

P1020250.jpg

Near it was an anemone, that when I looked at the images later, had a bunch of anemone shimp on it... which I have never seen here. I went back the next day and got some images (misplaced my super macro lens, so had to make do with what I had).

To get a size perspective on these guys... here is an image with a peterson shrimp in it (about 1/2 inch long):

The shimp are in the far right of the image.

Peterson_shrimp_2011_07_03.jpg

Here is what they look like:

enemone_shrimp_2011_07_03.jpg

If you compare to the images in the Reef Creature book, this is a close, but different species.

On the subject of shrimp, there were Peterson shrimp all over the place:

peterson_shrimp_2011_07_34.jpg

Next some general fish pictures:

dart_fish_2011_07_40.jpg

skate_2011_07_30.jpg

dansel_2011_07_30.jpg

cardinalfish_2011_07_01.jpg

blenny_2011_07_01.jpg

Angelfish_2011_07_01.jpg

After seeing Hetland's great images from the big "O", I wanted to see if I could get some of the fish I don't have images of.

The angel fish on the big O are a combination of blue's and queen..same color, but a queen is much brighter colored:

angelfish_2011_07_02.jpg

blue_angel_2011_07_30.jpg

Did not get a very good image of Hetland's hog fish, but did get a couple of pictures of spanish hogfish:

hogfish_2011_07_02.jpg

hogfish_201107_03.jpg

The creolefish are mixing with the snapper so from a distance they are hard to tell apart, but get close and it is obvious:

creolefish_2011_07_01.jpg

Saw this guy inside the ship:

rockbeauty_2011_07_01.jpg

Well, that covers the high points...nice weeks worth of diving.

Wow! Incredible photos!Hoping to head up there this weekend. How were the temps on the O ?

I should point out that I got to meet XRay, and much to my surprise, he is a real person.

nice.

Hetland, Yes it is... on the big O no less. Actually one of the better images I have of one, because on a reef, they tend to be hard to get close to. Never seen one up here.

It help sooth my pain of not getting a good image of that Hogfish you took. Inside the ship there were no other divers to scare it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom