Can you still buy Cipro in Coz w/o seeing a dr there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That change was Aug 25, 2010 huh? I arrived on the 21st after forgetting to pack a needed med and was a little peeved that it cost as much there as here (tourist price vs locals price perhaps) but had no idea how close I was to the deadline.

I bought Cipro ear drops in CZM in April without a prescription. I'm not sure about the pills. I would be very cautious about taking Cipro pills or any other member of that family of antibiotics like Levequin with or without a prescription. The FDA black labeled all of them a few years ago because they cause tendon damage. People have been blowing out their achiles tentons while on those drugs. I personally had a tendon burst in my left pinky back in 2006 while on Levequin, and it required surgery to re-attach. The only reason I even bought the ear drops is to keep in my save a dive kit because it's only topical, and an ear infection can ruin a very expensive trip.

Antibiotics were still being sold openly without prescription at the Cozumel Airport as of June 21, 2011.

I bought Cipro ear drops in CZM in April without a prescription. I'm not sure about the pills. I would be very cautious about taking Cipro pills or any other member of that family of antibiotics like Levequin with or without a prescription. The FDA black labeled all of them a few years ago because they cause tendon damage. People have been blowing out their achiles tentons while on those drugs. I personally had a tendon burst in my left pinky back in 2006 while on Levequin, and it required surgery to re-attach. The only reason I even bought the ear drops is to keep in my save a dive kit because it's only topical, and an ear infection can ruin a very expensive trip.
Was that the "Cortisporin octico"? If so, how much was it? I don't get ear problems from diving anymore so what I have left is out of date, but I do with my allergies at times. Of course self treating with antibiotics is always questionable, but there are two different issues I get from time to time, I know what they are and what the doc would give - and what works, so I keep those in my travel bag.
Antibiotics were still being sold openly without prescription at the Cozumel Airport as of June 21, 2011.
How surprising. I do like their ampicillin boxes. Now smuggling meds back into the US is always a questionable move, but it's not like I am sneaking in recreational drugs.

Of course self treating with antibiotics is always questionable, but there are two different issues I get from time to time, I know what they are and what the doc would give - and what works, so I keep those in my travel bag.
That's why J got the amoxicillin - normally I'm dead set against self-treating, but she knows her symptoms and it saves her a call to her MD and the wait for the pharmacy to fill the Rx, plus it was less than $25 for 4 treatment's worth versus $40 in $10 co-pays.

How surprising. I do like their ampicillin boxes. Now smuggling meds back into the US is always a questionable move, but it's not like I am sneaking in recreational drugs.
I figure this is the sort of no harm/no foul "play dumb at customs if you get caught" and they'll merely confiscate it or slap us with a nominal fine at worst (like the $50 fine I got once for smuggling a guayaba into LAX). IMO, it's pretty rare that one gets searched at U.S. customs, so it's a risk worth taking.

Was that the "Cortisporin octico"? If so, how much was it?

I have no idea. I'll have to look in my save a dive kit when I get a chance. The ear drops were only $4.

I just pointed at my ear and said Cipro, and that's what they gave me.

I have no idea. I'll have to look in my save a dive kit when I get a chance. The ear drops were only $4.

I just pointed at my ear and said Cipro, and that's what they gave me.
Ok thanks. That's not the one I was looking for. In English, it's CORTISPORIN Otic Solution with neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and hydrocortisone. See Cortisporin Otic Solution (Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Hydrocortisone Otic Solution) Drug Information: User Reviews, Side Effects, Drug Interactions and Dosage at RxList I like that in part because of the hydrocortisone that helps with pain & swelling, and in part because a few doctors have prescribed it to me and family in the past. IIRC, it was like $7 years ago, more like $20 last year, but my memory is nothing to brag about.

Ok thanks. That's not the one I was looking for. In English, it's CORTISPORIN Otic Solution with neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and hydrocortisone. See Cortisporin Otic Solution (Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Hydrocortisone Otic Solution) Drug Information: User Reviews, Side Effects, Drug Interactions and Dosage at RxList I like that in part because of the hydrocortisone that helps with pain & swelling, and in part because a few doctors have prescribed it to me and family in the past. IIRC, it was like $7 years ago, more like $20 last year, but my memory is nothing to brag about.
I found similar in Bali OTC at the hotel gift shop when I had some aching ears. I was really excited to find "real" ear drops there, rather than the impotent stuff we can buy OTC in the states.

I hope I can springboard off this thread with another question about pharmacies. I am in Coz now and brought my prescription for my migraine medicine from my last physical. Since I am on a deductible drug plan, I will pay either way, and figured it might be less expensive in Cozumel than in the U.S. My question is whether the prices are typically the same regardless of which pharmacy you go to, or if I can see significant savings if I go to the right pharmacy. If anyone has recommendations and locations, advice would be appreciated!

From my limited experience, I think you'll pay as much in Coz as back in Texas. I suspect that locals with the ID card proving such pay less. Anyway, I think that Mega will be as low as any, or at least you wouldn't save enough elsewhere to pay cab fees.

I forgot to take my one important daily med last year so I was eager to find it whatever they wanted for it, but screwed up taking only the brand name instead of the generic, and by the time I cleared that up - I just bought some at the first one.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom