• Sometimes

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • Used to

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Never

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a fatality at Peacock a few months ago where visuals may have been a contributing cause

Just from the information that I saw... I'd say it was very much a contributing cause. Not only that, it was in a cave "familiar" to the victim.

We had a fatality at Peacock a few months ago where visuals may have been a contributing cause

Yep. Every one of my cave students gets to hear about that incident.

I had thought about Peacock too. That reel or spool can serve as more than just a physical guideline for you to follow in poor vis. It can mentally confirm what you know to be true - this is the way out because I put this here.

I refused to do ginnie without a primary in the eye.
As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy with spending the extra time to know I'm safe and that I can follow a line to the exit.

First time I did JB we didn't run a primary line. I didn't think it was death defying or anything esp. dangerous, but it didn't "feel" like cave diving. I have since run line and its actually a fun challenge with the flow and a scooter.

If you are on the Crossover line with no jump spool on either end of the line that is a visual jump whether you ran a line initially or not. The point is to always have a continuous guideline to the surface. If the visibility blew out while you were in the Crossover Tunnel you would not be able to get back on gold line without deploying a safety.

no, read it again - there was a jump on one end, then both, then one, then we pulled that last one and went out. we always had continuous line and would be able to ok that continuous line all the way out if need be.

IMG_5234.jpg

I did take an OW south african in a cave once. That was an adventure. The only time I've ever done a visual jump was on this dive. In my defense, she was hot, and prolly wanted to sex me. How could I turn down sex? If she had drowned, I'd hit it real fast and claim I was doing reverse CPR.

What amazes me is the "old timers" aka DeLoach,Eckoff,Zumrick etc ALWAYS run a reel and never do visuals. These are the people who explored these caves,surveyed them,and intimately familiar with them. Everytime I did a dive with them,there was always a primary and jumps/gaps had reels placed. These are the people who lived through the 70s where there was so many cave diving fatalities the sport was almost banned. They took the lessons to heart from all the fatalities,and are survivors with tens of thousands of cave dives collectively,so I wonder why every few years we reexamine this subject. If you do it,and your probability of surviving seems to increase,and it only takes a few moments to do..........

Yep. Every one of my cave students gets to hear about that incident.

I did a search and couldn't find any details. Are you able to expand or point me in the right direction to read a report on the incident? In aviation we have crash magazines dedicated to sharing how things went wrong so other can learn and avoid. I would be interested in hearing the story and how it relates to this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom