Beginning Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I seem to recall horror stories of tards not running lines and getting lost and barely making it out.

Me, too. :(

I've also heard - online - that there are sufficient differences that even if one has cave training, you should take a wreck course or two with an experienced instructor to highlight and training on the differences.

:lol: I haven't been there since college! I wonder if anything's changed. :blinking:

Ow. Didn't have a Texas Clipper when I first OW certed on the Deep 6. You young'uns know if the "six" is still there?

In Arizona, get over to Lake Havasu and work with Joel Silverstine, there are very few divers around with more wreck experience then he has.

One thing that serious wreck divers have that is never posted about by the cave centrics or "tech divers" who seem to be most vocal on these boards is knowledge of ship engineering and construction. Not too many books out there for the lay diver, but there are more than a few wreck divers who will act as a mentor on your road. When you start to understand how a ship is constructed you may start to be able to "read" the wreck - if this is here, then that should be over there........ and, I am now in the ......... which means, there may be another entry/exit that way ......

Here is a fist mentoring - When in a wreck, LOOK UP, half of the wreck is above you especially if the wreck is turtled or on its side.

Reactions: Jax
My 2 psi -

Start with rec wreck. Air or nitrox single tank. Get good at that then move up to doubles/mixes/deco. Here's why; this is different than caves, different than deep. There are lots of popular wrecks with varying degrees of difficulty, warm water and cold, fully intact and fully disintegrated. Start at the less challenging end and work your way up the 'degree of difficulty' chain. As to recommendations - for beginner to intermediate rec wreck I like Conch Republic Divers. Gary and his gang know their s**f and have access to everything from The City of Washington to the Spiegel Grove to Duane and Bibb and more. When you decide that this is your gig there are hundreds of wrecks everywhere a boat can float, (and sink). Warm, cold, salt, fresh, lakes and ripping current. And they won't laugh when you show up with your dry suit. Well, they laugh at me and my dry suit, but that's different.......

DC

DC

My 2 psi -

Start with rec wreck. Air or nitrox single tank. Get good at that then move up to doubles/mixes/deco. Here's why; this is different than caves, different than deep. There are lots of popular wrecks with varying degrees of difficulty, warm water and cold, fully intact and fully disintegrated. Start at the less challenging end and work your way up the 'degree of difficulty' chain. As to recommendations - for beginner to intermediate rec wreck I like Conch Republic Divers. Gary and his gang know their s**f and have access to everything from The City of Washington to the Spiegel Grove to Duane and Bibb and more. When you decide that this is your gig there are hundreds of wrecks everywhere a boat can float, (and sink). Warm, cold, salt, fresh, lakes and ripping current. And they won't laugh when you show up with your dry suit. Well, they laugh at me and my dry suit, but that's different.......

DC

Ahem.. then when you want to go ice diving.........

DC

:fear:

OMG, not in this lifetime! :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom