the origins of the term "poodle jacket"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone who doesn't have much dive rite gear, this really offends me, it implies I'm using the wrong gear. If that's "rite", everyone else must be "wrong".

You got that rite

I think you got that rung. Dive rite refers to the practice of exorcising dive demons out of your equipment before a dive.
the-rite.jpg
the-rite.jpg

First of all, it has NOTHING to do with a BC. . . . The term "poodle jacket" was coined on the Tech Diver list serv in the late 1990s and it refers to "a color-coded tank sleeve or regulator bag".
Thanks for posting the background. I was not aware of the specific origin.
Defining a poodle jacket as a BC is simply revising history in the tech diving community
Well, if this definition is revisionist history, then the widespread use of 'poodle jacket' on SB makes perfect sense. :)
Rhone Man:
After all, Fornicating Under Command of the King used to have a different feel to it before it became used in its common abbreviated form (I assume - I wasn't there).
And, while I readily defer to those with a heritage closer to the cited environment, it was my understanding that this suggested origin had pretty much been relegated to the status of urban legend.

And, while I readily defer to those with a heritage closer to the cited environment, it was my understanding that this suggested origin had pretty much been relegated to the status of urban legend.

It has (Snopes), but I thought it illustrated the point well, so I used it anyhow. I never let the truth get in the way of making a point.

I think you got that rung. Dive rite refers to the practice of exorcising dive demons out of your equipment before a dive.
View attachment 97822
the-rite.jpg

>>>swoon<<< Anthony Hopkins is HOT!

Brian, it seems that you have a knack for offending liberals. Remember never ask innocuous questions else the internet police will be upon you.

The information you provided was interesting and relevant to modern day diving, for someone to come out and say its an us against them statement just shows that they are part of the problem.

And.... after that disturbing statement about the Rite poster with Anthony Hopkins being Hot, I'll never be able to look at my Dive Rite gear again without making that association:(

Quote Originally Posted by FLDVR View Post
Brian, it seems that you have a knack for offending liberals.
That's a nice thing to say about someone.

Oh snap, he's rubbing off on me!

I do love the history though, the roots origins and innovators are numerous and these tidbits of information are always interesting to
read!

FWIW it was a great weekend in the sunny South Fla. waters..good diving had by all.

And.... after that disturbing statement about the Rite poster with Anthony Hopkins being Hot, I'll never be able to look at my Dive Rite gear again without making that association:(

Glad to help! :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom