Boat crew setting kit up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is rather silly. The BC goes on the tank. The reg is attached to the the tank valve, LP hose connected to inflator. It ain't rocket science.

I've dove with plenty of dive ops that take the gear and have it set up for you by the time you're on the boat. It takes about 5 seconds to verify they've done everything right, then a double-check that air is on, inflator works, regs breathe, get in water. A very competent dive op recently put my reg on upside-down, at least upside-down from the way I like it. That took about 10 seconds to re-do, they saw me re-do it, and they got it right the next time. It ain't rocket science.

Anyone claiming things like "Those who don't want to or can't set up their own gear...likely aren't the types to be reading and participating is this forum " or "Certainly most people in this forum are going to want to set up their own gear. Once a year divers don't hang out here," really need to get out more.

Now having someone else set up your rebreather, that's a different story. And no one touches my camera unless I say so.

The only time I let someone else set up my gear is when I am diving with a tender. If I am using scuba off a boat, I'd prefer to set up my own gear and have a team member inspect it. If I were you I'd post a sign on my boat to the effect, "We're happy to set up your gear if you so request."

Last edited:
One thing I am not seeing is that no matter who sets up MY gear is that you should still do a buddie check. But when it comes right down to it. "DON'T TOUCH MY GEAR"

I don't mind someone setting up my gear. I do a second check and my buddy does a 3rd check. I am still only double digits in dives so that may be why it is not an issue for me. I found a loose tank strap when i checked my buddies' gear and discovered my BC was not connected many a time when the boat crew set up my gear.
Good practice...check and recheck.

I was diving with Sandals Resorts dive shop in Ocho Rios in 2003. We were diving off the 46' Newton, so plenty of room for everyone. For some reason the boat crew had divers take their gear off in water and give it to the crew before climbing on-board. So like everyone else, I handed my gear to one of the crew. By the time I climbed up the ladder, I found my set-up disassembled :confused:, and the weight pockets taken out. Not only the pockets were taken out, but for some reason the weights were taken out of the pockets. :shocked2:

As the boat started to move to take us to the 2nd dive site, I saw on of my weight pockets fly away... :cussing: I was pissed... They were very apologetic and all, but... Luckily, I had an extra weight pouch from my old BC in my bag at the hotel. But after that EVERYONE at the dive shop knew to keep their hands OFF MY STUFF!!!

So, yes, I assemble AND dis-assemble my own gear. It's a routine that I follow every time, I know exactly how I want it set up, how high I want the tank to be, which D-ring my accessories clips on to, etc... It's just easier that way.

And, I have yet to meet a boat crew member that would be upset at me for not letting them set up my gear. They usually have plenty of other customers that need their help...

I work in the Caribbean and we offer equipment setup to all guests, we do have a few who would like to do their own but most are willing to let us do it for them. That being said all boat crew / captains are DM's or above and are familiar with equipment setup and we also do an audible check before entering the water for weights and fins and one of the crew will go round and physically check all tanks are open before the lead guide enters the water. It is a lot of work but does ensure everybody, us included, enjoy the dive and once it is part of normal procedure it doesn't take any longer than normal.

I have been diving all over the world and some charters setup your tank and others don't. I have always been fine with them setting up my tank for my second dive but always thuroughly check it myself. When it comes down to it, its my life I am risking and I dont leave that up to anyone but me.

I once dove a boat in Tahiti and asked the "DM," a certified instructor, to NOT touch my gear. I set mine up and turned on my valve in preparation for the dive, but left the gear and went elsewhere on the boat for a while. Not too long after that, I entered the water and immediately realized my valve had been turned off. I was at 20 ft and started kicking to the surface. The "DM" grabbed my legs and tried to pull me back down, an understandable action if I were making a rapid ascent after breathing compressed air. I had to kick her to get back to the surface. She surfaced and started chewing me out. I told her she (or someone else?) had turned OFF my air that I had left on and I had nothing but air from the surface in my lungs when I did my ascent.

I always ask DMs not to touch my gear when I'm diving a boat. Most are fine with that.

However, I have been on boats with new divers who had no clue about setting up their own gear! Once in Belize I had a certified instructor set her gear up totally wrong. I looked over at the boat captain and his eyes rolled and went skyward. I suggested to her that she might want to put her BCD on her tank so that it was in line with the valve opening (she had it 90 degrees off). She said "Oh, we always dive that way." When she asked me to put her personal mask strap back on her mask, I really had my doubts.

I realize this thread is almost 4 months old but I wanted to add to it anyway. I went on a dive in St. Thomas last December and simply kept control of my gear. When I set it up the DM commented, "Oh, you're one of those." It kinda pissed me off because I know that I am the only one really responsible for my safety. Needless to say, it affected the tip I left them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom