Baggage fees.. Tightening the Screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I flew on Hawaiian back on May and they weighed my carry-ons when I checked my other bags. I was 1 lb over the 25 lb limit, and had to move 1 lb of stuff from my carry-on into my "personal item" computer case. What a pain! Naturally I moved the junk back as soon as I was away from the counter.

I'm no frequent flyer but in a lifetime of travel that's never happened to me before, not even on the kind of puddle jumpers where they move pax around for aircraft balance.

Airlines vary the roll-on limits. American and Continental agree on the maximum combined linear measurement (L + W + H) of the carry-on bag of 45 inches, but Cont allows 40# and American does not publish a weight limit.

It really amuses me that all you Divers in the USA are whining about excess baggage charges, when you already get far more generous baggage allowances than the rest of the world!

In Europe, we have had a checked baggage allowance of between 20 and 23 Kilos (that's 44 - 50 pounds, depending on the airline) for as long as I can remember, and if you go above that, you pay an excess per kilo - which can often be as much as 1% of the full First-class fare per kilo.

Many of the cheaper airlines in Europe now charge a "check-in" fee of around US$25 per checked bag each way -and paying for 2 or even 3 checked bags does not increase your total baggage allowance, which stays at 20Kg.

From what I've been able to gather (primarily from the SeatGuru website), on flights from the USA to Mexico, Continental allow you one bag up to 23Kg (50 pounds) for free, and a second one for just US$27 if you pay online. In addition to that, you get a generous 18Kg (40 pound) Carry-on allowance - in the rest of the world, it's generally between 7 and 11Kg.

Most of the divers that I travel with manage to keep their checked luggage to under 23Kg total - and some travel with 15Kg or less (including BC, Regs, Fins, Wetsuit, etc., etc.). Those with lots of Camera equipment accept that they will have to pay excess fees, and allow for it when planning the trip.

I'm going to Raja Ampat in Jan 2012, and have been told that the checked baggage allowance on the flight to Sorong is just 10Kg (22 pounds). Although I doubt I'll manage to get my weight that low, I'd be surprised if I have to pay for more than about 8Kg excess - when you're travelling to somewhere hot, and are going to be underwater most of the time, do you really need to pack more than a couple of pairs of shorts a few T-shirts, and some sunblock?

Get real, people - learn to travel lighter, and stop whining!

Neil.

This is one reason I use my credit card to build airline mileage so I can upgrade each of our ticket to first class 15k miles each. I'm going to spend the money why not get something for it the overweight bag fee on usairways is waved for first class on the first 2 bags. Only disadvantage is I have to go where they go so that does pose a problem last 5 years we have flown first class every year. I checked a few other airlines even British Airways waves all bag fees up to 70lbs for first class plus some other exemptions being a club member also gets some of these airlines to except the fees. You have to start reading the fine print before you book. The last 3 years we haven't paid for an airline ticket my wife and I. We went to Grand Cayman in first class on US airways for free last year. My wife loves to buy gifts for friends so I always pack duffel bags to bring along and being in first class I never have an issue finding room.
US Airways | Baggage policies

Last edited:
I am an UW journalist and have flown on a number of airlines. Extra allowances for Scuba gear have disappeared, and some airlines now have a surchage for scuba gear - even if it is within your 50lb allowance. Iberia in Miami tried to sting me for 150 USD. I back tracked and said it was at least half clothes and that i was also a neoprene fetishist and got away with it.
KLM from Europe to Africa are still good value though, they allow 2 x 50 lb pieces for anyone.
I do all my trips with 50 lbs (23 kgs) in my hold bag and the rest in my carry on - including cameras. (though i use an Olympus EPL1 and Oly housing, and twin S2000 strobes to keep it light). Keep all your batteries in your carry on, and i take a naf but useful "photographers/safari" waistcoat. My carry on weighs up to 13 kgs (about 38 lbs i think), but if i get any grief, as is more and more common, i pull out the waistcoat and fill the pockets with batteries, cameras, and books and get the carry on down to a 8 kgs.
In my checked bag i just have a couple of pairs of shorts, one set of running kit, a pair of flip flops (i travel in my running shoes and long trousers), and a few shirts. If travelling to the States where you effectively get two peices of carry on I have a compression bag with extra clothes, if travelling to Africa (and not on KLM) or Papua New Guinea to give photo courses I buy some cheap t-shirts and flip flops there and give them away at the end.

Some airlines will give you an extra 5kg if you have your diver certification card with you, and every little helps.

If you are using Easy Jet for any of your flights, you can also book a sports bag for about £20, and this will allow you a 12kg separate bag of sports gear, which is also a help (my dive gear weighs in at 20kg on its own, so any extra is a help).

And best of all, if you are travelling to Egypt, it is worth looking at Egypt Air, their prices are not too bad at all and they have doubled luggage allowance on all international flights!!! A hefty 46kg each allowance!!!

Hope that helps :D

I have been able several times to carry 80lb's or more in my backpack carryon. I often travel with a steel back plate and several heavy regulators. I realize that some airlines weigh carry on luggage and some do not. There seem to be changes with all the airlines constantly. So my advice is check the airlines web site before you fly. My experience has been primarily with Air Canada and Westjet. It seems that the US airlines lately have become much more strict with this. I also understand from several friends that Emirates airlines have very high weight limits and are very easy going about carry on weight limits. If a particular airline or airlines became known to be "scuba friendly" they would probably pick up a lot of customers.

Which is all great but does not justify current behaviours.
Unions, like most other things in the real world, are neither all good nor all bad. Whether they are mostly good or mostly bad depends on who you ask.

Get real, people - learn to travel lighter, and stop whining!

Neil.

Agreed. It's amazing how some people seem to feel the need to bring everything with them on their trip other than the kitchen sink. Seriously, who wants to lug all that crap around the airport? My small suit case that I use to carry on most of the contents of my dive bag is within the measurments required, and my checked bag always weighs far less than 50lbs, and yet, every trip, I figure out more things I could have left at home. If it wasn't for the contents of my save a dive kit or my poll spear not being allowed as a carry on, I think now days I could do a week in CZM without even checking a bag.

Now if only I could figure out a way to get the airline to let me check my mountain bike as my one checked bag? Hmmmmm...... :idk:

Agreed. It's amazing how some people seem to feel the need to bring everything with them on their trip other than the kitchen sink. Seriously, who wants to lug all that crap around the airport? My small suit case that I use to carry on most of the contents of my dive bag is within the measurments required, and my checked bag always weighs far less than 50lbs, and yet, every trip, I figure out more things I could have left at home. If it wasn't for the contents of my save a dive kit or my poll spear not being allowed as a carry on, I think now days I could do a week in CZM without even checking a bag.

Now if only I could figure out a way to get the airline to let me check my mountain bike as my one checked bag? Hmmmmm...... :idk:

Now that is just not being prepared. As DD about the time he NEEDED a kitchen sink.... :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom