Objective Rebreather Comparos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver4121

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does anyone have any advice on where I can read an objective evaluation of the various RBs on the market? I realize that Consumer Reports probably has not done a test, but I'm sure someone/organization/tech magazine has. Feel free to post any links that may apply. Thanks in advance!

Suggest you go to RBW and the forum on the different RBs. There is a lot of good information & pixs there, realizing that everybody thinks "their" RB is the best on the market. Still, you can easily narrow the field and pick up some good pros and cons.

Check out Rebreathers Simplified by Mel Clark. It is pricey but worth every penny if you thinking of purchasing a unit. She breaks down most of main stream units with pictures.

I second Mel's book. It's a great resource about rebreathers. Rebreather world is good...but you have to take some of the opinions with a grain of salt as you do with everything. Also if you call up Mel or Curt they are both great resources....Silent Scuba

as far as objective reviews of rebreathers....i've never seen any in magazines or other places.

Objective? Perhaps the only objective (sort-of) RB selection was done by the various naval groups around the world.

Objective? Perhaps the only objective (sort-of) RB selection was done by the various naval groups around the world.

Only if they included the brands that recreational types use (KISS, rEvo, Meg, YBOD, etc, etc).

Given that most naval groups have a very narrow parameter of specs that mostly pertain to operational requirements, I would seriously doubt that any testing they have done has any relevance to what the recreational world is looking for.

Does anyone have any advice on where I can read an objective evaluation of the various RBs on the market? I realize that Consumer Reports probably has not done a test, but I'm sure someone/organization/tech magazine has. Feel free to post any links that may apply. Thanks in advance!

It doesn't exist. RBW is a fairly good resource however you won't get too many people that have spent ~$9000 on a unit saying anything bad about it so expect mostly good reviews.

Only if they included the brands that recreational types use (KISS, rEvo, Meg, YBOD, etc, etc).

Given that most naval groups have a very narrow parameter of specs that mostly pertain to operational requirements, I would seriously doubt that any testing they have done has any relevance to what the recreational world is looking for.
I agree with you, I just happen to like my Mk-15.:D

Here's the best rebreather worn by a Guinea Pig. It's called the Cis-Pignar.

Attachments

• Guinea Pig Rebreather.jpg
    Guinea Pig Rebreather.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 213
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom