this could start an all out war!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chironomidkraut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
OK my question is, why isn't miflex hoses considered DIR?? (this is just my opinion) but they have a highter burst pressure, last longer than standard rubber hoses, and are smaller in diameter which is more streamlined and seem safer..... remember this is just my opinion :D

I don't believe there is any pronouncement on Miflex hoses, except that the high pressure ones fail. I know several GUE-trained cave divers who have used them. Some people have gone back to standard hoses for the long hose, because the Miflex has some peculiar resistances to bending which makes it a little more difficult to handle in a 7' length.

I have one as my long hose, not out of any particular preference but because it's what I had lying around. If I had my druthers I'd use a regular hose. The miflex tends to float up behind my head and can be slightly annoying.

I used a Miflex HP hose on my SPG. It started leaking within a few dives went back to the standard hose. Never had an issue since. They look cool but that it is IMO.

I have one as my long hose, not out of any particular preference but because it's what I had lying around. If I had my druthers I'd use a regular hose. The miflex tends to float up behind my head and can be slightly annoying.

That's probably a routing problem more than a hose problem. You can make a normal hose float up above your head too, especially on a single-tank configuration where, depending on your first stage, it can be a little trickier to route it straight down the side of the tank. If that's happening to you and you don't have a canister light to route the hose under then just hook it under a weight block or double it up and tuck it under the weightbelt to keep it in place.

Getting back to hoses, one of my friends uses miflex hoses and likes them. He says he finds them more comfortable but I would imagine that other people would reach the opposite conclusion.....

I don't know anyone that uses the HP hoses so I don't know about those, however; I can't see any reason why the LP ones shouldn't be used if you like them.

R..

If you want a more flexible HP hose, take at look at the Phantom Kevlar HP hoses. I like the Miflex LP hoses for my secondary and stage regs, but not the 7' primary, as it tends to float around too much, especially in a backwards roll entry.

That's probably a routing problem more than a hose problem.

Without meaning to derail the thread (but doing it anyway), it happens in singles with the hose routed directly down from the 5th port as well as in doubles, similarly routed straight down. In both cases it's tucked beneath the light canister. It doesn't happen with a regular rubber hose. Also, I second the the thing about the snaps not staying put. I have to push mine back toward the 2nd stage periodically. If I were less lazy, I'd switch back to a rubber hose.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom