New river snorkeling video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Riversnorkel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The huge snowpack in Washington state has swolen the local rivers to record levels.
Our search for clear water took us far up into the mountains to the little Wenatchee river. This river has extremely dangerous sections of class V whitewater but the 5 mile strech we swam on the 4th of July provided a high speed run through stands of old growth forests.
We encountered a huge log jam that spanned the entire river, providing a very interesting portage. As usual we encountered wildlife. A large buck mule deer stared couriously as we floated past and a family of merganzers may have thought we were just logs. Several fish species were spotted, but the breakneck current meant we had to focus more on survival than filming.
Thanks for watching!
[video=youtube_share;kH8ADw8PJqI]http://youtu.be/kH8ADw8PJqI[/video]

Last edited:
I wear fins sometimes but my swim buddy does not. Fins are nice for extended swims, but can get in the way when getting in and out of the water often.
Skulking,our term for swimming/climbing/crawling upstream against the current can be easier without fins. It comes down to personal choice.

that's a nice movie, do you ever drift with the stream and get a pick-up somewhere downstream your entry point or do you consider that to be too risky, I was thinking of trying that in one of the local rivers here in North Scotland

Great video, thanks! I would really like to try river snorkeling. I miss the rivers from my kayaking days, and I love to swim and snorkel. Seems like it would be a great combination :)

Very cool, nice job.

Thanks gang.
Scubajo007, We do swim for distance. In this case we swam right around 5 miles. We dropped a vehicle off at the take out and drove another to the put in. Blue sparkle, Skulking is a lot like boating, your ferry angles are still important!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom