Trying Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no failure. With only 10 dives they cannot go any further. You need a minimum 30 + nitrox for TEC 40. This is an experience dive, nothing more, nothing less. Kneel the guy down, do the valve shutdown and probably take his photo as well. Don't expect anything more than that. After the experience then they can go away and aim to be become a tech diver. But it'll be a long way off.

Like I said initially ... sounds like a real money-maker ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is the skills list for the Discover TEC experience:
o primary to secondary regulator switch.
o gas shutdown – one regulator only.
o stage/deco cylinder don and remove.
o lift bag/DSMB deployment.
o deco stop – maintain depth at a given depth within .3 metres/1 foot for 3
minutes.

That's it. A nice little play with the twinset, nothing more. People are making this out to be much more than what it is, a play, a money-maker. There is no point pushing these people to try harder. No point in explaining hogarthian rigs, all the finer qualities of reel selection or the evil of split fins. The reality is the average customer taking this experience is there to play with a twinset. If they wanted to take a tech course they would take a tech course.

So you'd demo a valve shutdown hovering horizontally for a discover tec customer? Bear in my mind they can have a minimum of 10 dives for this experience.

You need to re-read my post...and your own...I said "actual tech training", and that was in response to your comment about demo'ing valve drills on your knees even at the trimix level. That's well beyond a "discover" level, and no, the tech instructors at our local shop would not demo that skill, or any other skill, on their knees during tech training.

That's it. A nice little play with the twinset, nothing more. People are making this out to be much more than what it is, a play, a money-maker. There is no point pushing these people to try harder. No point in explaining hogarthian rigs, all the finer qualities of reel selection or the evil of split fins. The reality is the average customer taking this experience is there to play with a twinset. If they wanted to take a tech course they would take a tech course.

That makes me wonder why those people would even be interested in playing with a twinset? I would be interested in all those other things too (or, if not, I probably wouldn't give two hoots about trying a twinset) To each their own, of course :idk:

The Discover Tec can be done with single cylinder 'H' or 'Y' valve. Not sure what value lies in that.

IMHO, there more developmental value in doing an 'Intro To Doubles' course. I am surprised that PADI never standardised that, as it is typically quite a popular course. I like that it deals with the equipment, but is distinct from tech training (given that you don't have to be a tech diver to benefit from diving in doubles).

It's also tragic that the Discover Tec has no theory element. The old 'Intro To Tech' course did (was basically the first theory/confined/ow modules from the old Tech Deep 1 course). That theory used to introduce the concept and mindset of tech diving quite well. It also started to introduce some gas management. All of which were beneficial.

I wish the Discover Tec could be expanded, to include training that combined 'Intro To Doubles' with 'Gas Management' theory. The two learning objectives would be very mutually supportive - and would actually be some value to the student as a recreational diver. Plenty of recreational divers do use doubles... for good reasons.

That said, I can still run 'Intro to Doubles' and/or 'Gas Management as private (non-certification) workshops... which means I don't have to pay PADI for the privilege, or increase costs to supplement the training with a over-priced glossy manual....so I won't complain.

Having been involved in 'tec' training before it even had a name, it's become clear to me that there's two types of tec diver.

1/ the ones who train to be able to dive deep or inacessable sites, ' real tec divers'

2/ ones who want to use the gear, ponce about recreational sites and pull the birds , ' baby teccers'

I see no problem in giving the baby teccers what they want and making a few bob, the problem arises when the baby teccer who should now be aiming to be a tec diver is now claiming to be a tec diver !

I agree... i have Just got my tech 50, and I would NEVER suggest some one take a Discover Tech Course... it is one of those things you are ether 110% committed or you DON'T do it.. Tech is now a walk in the park... and I new at it, but I already know enough to say Discover Tech is a BAD IDEA!!!!! Just read chapter one of the Tech manual, if your not committed DON'T do it.

To me Tech was challenging way to improve my diving abilities and my respect for the "Dive Safe" quote. I would never discourage someone from doing tech, but I will from Trying Tech... If your are not ready to go all the way, wait until you are.
Tech is fun and a great way to advance in the diving world.

Ant how those are my thoughts on this thread ..
KT

Why would anyone shut the valves in a kneeling position. Its more difficult to do than in the horizontal trim as the valves are more difficult to reach.

Why would anyone shut the valves in a kneeling position. Its more difficult to do than in the horizontal trim as the valves are more difficult to reach.

They shouldn't be. You should be able to reach your valves in all positions. Part of my pre-dive check is to enter the water and check I can maneuver all valves in case of a problem at the surface, would want to waste any precious helium!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom