Wreck of the Chaparra - With Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB104

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Chaparra wreck 7/10/2011

On Sunday, July 10, Jeremiah and I went to Barnegat to dive with our friend, Anthony, on his private boat "Tranquility". We planned on three dives, but settled for two. I actually settled for one, since I wasn't feeling 100%. We hit the Chaparra, which is in 80 feet of water. The Chaparra lays on a sandy bottom, making for decent viz. She was sunk by a mine laid by the U-117 (from WWI), with 6 casualties. She lies on her port side and is generally flattened out. There is relief from her engine and boilers, as well as other other areas, and she is a good lobster/fish wreck. Today was no different.

I was wearing my Liquid Image HD Wide Angle video mask (video to follow), and was using my JBL 38 spear gun for the first time. I've had this gun for 10 years, but it's never seen water. I lost my pole spear on a wreck the day before, so this was my backup gun. I guess the bands were a bit brittle, since one of the two bands broke at depth as I loaded it for my very first shot, which I must say was still a good shot that ended with a nice sized black sea bass ending up in my bag.

Jeremiah and I dove while Anthony stayed topside (with Jeremiah's fiance Kristen) We did a 45 minute dive, and viz. was about 25 feet. After my first sucessful shot, I was disappointed on the next two. I saw what is the biggest black sea bass I've ever seen (video to prove it), but I guess the single band didn't give my gun enough umph to go through the fish, letting him swim off and away after getting hit in the sweet spot (not sweet enough I guess). Another black sea bass had the same good luck but not after getting skewered by a well placed shot. I think I like this gun. It gives me a reach I don't usually get with the pole spear.

The rest of the day, all I caught was a sunburn. Jeremiah and Anthony hit another "secret wreck" on the way back in that was in 55 feet. Viz. was about 10 feet since we were closer in shore.

A bad day of diving is better than a good day at work!

I originally posted a youtube video of this dive, but Youtube blocked it due to my choice of music to accompany the video....Pink Floyd "Sorrow". I guess it was a copyright violation. As a result, I opened a Vimeo account, and uploaded it with no issues.

Here is the video. Enjoy

How do you like the Wide version of that mask compared to your old one? I recently bought the HD GoPro and I am very impressed - I have it mounted on my speargun, and another mount on the FFM for when I dont have my speargun. I need to work on video editing now since I have a few hours of unedited footage!!

The wide angle is a big step above the normal lens. The difference of what I can see on the video is huge compared to the standard one. As for the GoPro, I am going to get one and put it on my speargun as well. Video editing can be time comsuming. I use the windows movie maker that comes with windows, and it works fine. There are alternatives out there, but this basic editor works for me. Yet your butt in gear and edit the video so I can see it. Do you want to go spearing anytime? I think you are fairly local to me, and I can meet you at the Jersey shore. I am in the market right now for a sit-up-on kayak for spearing.

Mike, that was a real nice video. Viz looked really great! Based on what you said, I was expecting a real dizzying effect, but I didn't find it that way at all. For me, it felt like I was the one on the dive . . . great job!! Also, it looked like you guys were cleaning up. Shooting into the wreck like that, did you ever have a problem retrieving the fish & your line?

One more thing . . . umm, what's up with Jeremiah only putting 45mins BT on that nice piece of equipment? Could've waited for Anthony to meet up with him on the bottom :D

Lucky guys!

Franco

Lets go spearfishing!!!

Im out almost every weekend. We had some real nice dives last weekend (SAT and SUN). Several Lobster, Tog and sea bass on a 200' ferry on the Cape May reef.

This week Im going Friday since I have the kids Sat (wife has to work) -then I am flying Monday morning so Sunday is out.

I wanted to try to edit the video today but got to busy at work.

I think there is something you have to do with the GoPro in order to edit it, something about converting the file. At this point I have to learn how since My SD cards are full..........

Nice video! Looks like you had lots of ambient light and good vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom