P*ssed at Inon and Reef Photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always had really good experiences with Reef Photo so I could easily defend them but enough others have. A couple comments though I want to make. First I don't think I've ever seen anything in underwater photography that costs just $.50 no matter how small or simple it looks. That's just the way it is. Second I've been in similar situations before where I've just needed a small part of a larger assembly and it just isn't sold that way, you gotta buy the whole assembly to get the part you need. It sucks but also just the way it is sometimes. Globalization can have many benefits, good products at good prices for instance. But a downside can be customer service.

And while I love my two Inon Z-240 strobes I definitely agree the manuals suck.

For the moment, as temporary diffusers, try putting some wax paper over the strobes and hold it on with rubber bands or a more creative solution...you be surprised how manmy pro shoots were done with wax paper.

Dan... He's using the on-camera strobe. He needs the diffuser to set out closer to the end of the lens to bend the light around and fill the dark spot.

I'm thinking a walk through Home Depot would solve this issue. You would be surprised what one can come up with to solve a problem when one engages brain towards problem solution versus baseless rants. Doesn't look like a big deal but it dose look like the corner of a disposable opaque paint container. My 2¥.

Thanks for the various suggestions/points of view. I actually know my local Home Depot rather well and have already made multiple mental walks through it in search of a solution.

Re contacting Inon, I cannot see that it is possible. Their website refers all requests for contact to distributors. I contacted another distributor in addition to Reef Photo and have not received a response.

Ryan, in post #3, stated "The statement that we didn't try to find a solution for you is completely false." Well, that depends. Below are the only two emails that Reef Photo actually sent to me (both on July 7). The first---
Hi Larry,

Is it the diffuser or do you have a strobe attached and a broken blocker (black).

If the diffuser I don't even have those on my Inon price list, so it would be a special order item.

If it is the black blocker panel, those are $49.95, again, special order.

Regards,
Richard Perry

Reef Photo & Video
Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Toll Free - 877.453.8927
Fort Lauderdale or International - 954.537.0644
FAX - 954.537.0645

3320 NE 32nd St.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308
The second---
Hi Larry,

Upon further research, it appears that Inon does not offer that diffuser as a replacement part.

Regards,
Richard Perry

Reef Photo & Video
Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Toll Free - 877.453.8927
Fort Lauderdale or International - 954.537.0644
FAX - 954.537.0645

3320 NE 32nd St.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308
Now, my interpretation of Richard Perry's email #2 (sent to me 12 days prior to Ryan's post #3) is that it is a blow-off. Moreover, it contradicts the statement by Ryan in post #3 that "[He has] sent an email to Inon asking for a part number for that part so we may order it, but it has not been replied to."

My point is simple. If Reef Photo had wished to do more on my behalf, it could have. It could have taken a piece of diffuser plastic from a different mount base and said, "Here, modify this and it will probably work." They could have taken one from a stock mount base of the same model as mine and sold it to me. The point is that they could have provided or created a solution, but did not. Moreover, now with the post from Ryan (post #3) and quoted email #2 from Richard Perry, it seems that either someone at Reef Photo is not telling the truth or that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

The bottom line here is that I am (at least, was) a customer and Reef Photo has not helped me. Over a 50 cent part. I am pretty creative when it comes to solving practical problems. I would think the same creativity should be expected from Reef Photo. I also think that and that they should also act on my annoyance by communicating it to Inon who may very well be the root of the problem.

If something positive comes out of this, I will tell you. If not, I am not going to grind this axe any further.

So you expect Reef to pull a part that they cannot replace off another stock unit and send it to you? You sound like the kind of customer a company is better off losing.

If they are unable to buy it, end of story. By not selling or offering you a replacement, they have done nothing wrong. This is an Inon issue, not a Reef issue.

Larry,

Your July 8 email reply (which included a promise to "vigorously transmit" your displeasure on Scubaboard) is open in our support queue. Once I have an answer I'll reply there. I don't know whether or not we'll come up with something, but if we can't I hope another retailer or someone here is able to help you.

My point is simple. If Reef Photo had wished to do more on my behalf, it could have. It could have taken a piece of diffuser plastic from a different mount base and said, "Here, modify this and it will probably work." They could have taken one from a stock mount base of the same model as mine and sold it to me. The point is that they could have provided or created a solution, but did not. Moreover, now with the post from Ryan (post #3) and quoted email #2 from Richard Perry, it seems that either someone at Reef Photo is not telling the truth or that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

The bottom line here is that I am (at least, was) a customer and Reef Photo has not helped me. Over a 50 cent part. I am pretty creative when it comes to solving practical problems. I would think the same creativity should be expected from Reef Photo. I also think that and that they should also act on my annoyance by communicating it to Inon who may very well be the root of the problem.

If something positive comes out of this, I will tell you. If not, I am not going to grind this axe any further.

Jeez... :shakehead: If there was a dislike button, I'd use it right here.

I said I would post again only if there was a further development concerning my inability to obtain a replacement diffuser from Inon or Reef Photo. So, I would like to thank Sean Boone from Backscatter Video and Photo http://www.backscatter.com/http:// who obtained one in a few days and sold it to me for a reasonable price. Thanks again Backscatter and Sean for making an effort to help a stranded customer when the original merchant would do nothing.

FWIW, I, too, think lmorin is being unreasonable about the part.

However, as far as Inon goes . . . were they as badly affected by the quake as were firms such as Toyota? If my Hybrid power pack goes south, there's not a darned thing Toyota USA can do to help me. The battery firm was pretty much destroyed. Inon may be in the same boat.

Back
Top Bottom