Safe to go to Long Hose Primary Donate without specific training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

633squadron

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have met several divers who use the 'long hose primary donate" method for potential air-sharing: have your primary on a long hose, put your secondary on a necklace, if you have to provide air to someone else you
donate your primary and go to your secondary.

I want to switch over to this. I've shared air off someone using the long hose, and I thought it worked much better than using short hoses. I also like that the method gets my secondary out of the way.

However, I'm not trained as a tech diver. I have 75 dives in Monterey, CA and Fiji over the past 1 1/2 years, and I'm trained up to PADI Rescue Diver level.

What do you think? Is it safe to do this without getting training?

As long as you're a thoughtful person who commits to practicing the use of the long hose primary (sharing air, shared air ascents, etc.), I don't see a problem with not seeking out formal training.

I made the switch to a 5' primary + necklaced backup without taking a formal class. I feel like I'm well prepared to provide air to my buddy or another diver in an emergency situation. YMMV.

If you're not comfortable with doing it on your own, take a class.

I switched to a "long hose" style setup (5' hose) at around 25 dives. I didn't have any instruction. I read about the setup here, and then I watched youtube videos showing the donating drill. I practiced it out of the water, and then with my buddy in the water. At that point I probably had more practice/knowledge with the "long hose" set-up than I left my OW class with on the "typical" set-up.

I like it for a number of reasons. I'm just an ordinary OW diver :)

Blue Sparkle

PS: Before I even get in the water -- while I'm sitting on the boat bench all geared up -- I grab my primary (in the way they show on the videos) and do a quick pretend donate. That way I know the hose is routed properly (my buddy checks it out too, but I like the pretend donate as well).

Blue Sparkle

Ditto. Its just a configuration change, no more, no less, that requires some practice drills to become proficient.
- Make sure your buddy understands the procedure for sharing air (I switched my face plates to remind them).
- If you use a snorkel, understand the hose can snag on it.
- Practice grabbing your octo with your mouth, its a nice skill to have
- Take care when doffing your gear after the dive so you don't drop your second on the ground

I forgot to mention the snorkel thing. I ditched that waaaaay before switching to a long hose primary

"I came here for a good argument!" "No, you came here for an argument." -- Monty Python, The Argument Sketch.

:wink:

Any specific links in scubaboard you liked?

Frogkick.nl has some great videos. The site is not in English and you cannot link to them directly but if you:

Go to: frogkick.nl

Click: Bibliotheek

Click: Lange slang met buddy

Watch and learn. (and dig the awesomeness that is QUEEN)

The long hose is the way to go and requires no class. Just practice, practice and practice some more.

Youtube has some good resources; search for "5thd-x".

I don't think that there's any major issue with self-learning how to use the kit for open water recreational diving. Watch some videos, read some forum posts etc. The critical factor is that you learn/ingrain the drills - and that means practice, practice practice.

Make sure you insure your long hose is not tangled up in your inflator, straps, or other kit before you begin each dive. Also, it helps to have something on your belt to tuck the hose under to keep it from floating and dangling around.

Yes. It is safe to switch over without training as long as you are smart about getting used to the new setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom