USCG respect for dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do know the regulations for boaters what I am trying to find out is the regulations for the coast guard. What makes you say I do not know the regulations myself?
Thanks
Kevin

If they motored up to you without trying to contact you on VHF radio ,bull horn,flag wave,that was dumb on their part if you had the proper flags flying and they should have been reported after giving them an ear full, but it doesnt sound like you know the regs yourself so make sure of that before you point fingers. Stay safe ,good luck.

Things we don't know:

1. The size of the dive flag being flown by the vessel
2. If imminent danger to other shipping existed by being in a shipping lane
3. How fast and in what manner the USCG boat approached.
4. If attempts were made to hail the vessel prior to closing to under 50 ft.

Things I don't know:
1. If federal law recognizes the red/white dive flag
2. if an ICW requires flying both the "Alpha" Flag and the red/white flag to meet regulation

Until I know the answer to the first four questions I'd suggest we don't monday morning qb the USCG.

Michael

Federal Law and the Coast Guard do not recognize and have no requirement (though it might be prudent) to pay any attention to the dive flag, you need to fly an Alpha, which might not be OK either since diving might be prohibited in the navigation channel.

Land, sea or air. If a jurisdiction believes an infraction is about to occur, in the commission of, or a matter of safety, they will make contact. How they choose to do that is with in their discretion. In my experience on both commercial dive boats and private craft 99.9% of the time they will come along side and tie off. Few times while diving Lake Mead the Federal Park Service Ranger boats would pull up to our boat with divers in the water just to do a safety check. Guess they figure most divers are aware of the hazard and avoid coming up under a running vessel. Diver(s) on the surface would of course be avoided. Having and learning the proper skills and use of an SMB are highlighted by your experience. However, use of an SMB has attracted unwanted attention from jetski. Diver Beware..

Last edited:
I have wondered the same thing before, albeit in a different country. I've actually had a coastguard boat ram our dive boat from the opposite side (accidentally, I think) as I was about to get back in it, getting a face full of ladder for my troubles. OK, if the coastguard have to approach a boat with a dive flag showing then fine, but surely it should be done with a bit of caution :no:

Land, sea or air. If a jurisdiction believes an infraction is about to occur, in the commission of, or a matter of safety, they will make contact. How they choose to do that is with in there discretion. In my experience on both commercial dive boats and private craft 99.9% of the time they will come along side and tie off. Few times while diving Lake Mead the Federal Park Service Ranger boats would pull up to our boat with divers in the water just to do a safety check. Guess they figure most divers are aware of the hazard and avoid coming up under a running vessel. Diver(s) on the surface would of course be avoided. Having and learning the proper skills and use of an SMB are highlighted by your experience. However, use of an SMB has attracted unwanted attention from jetski. Diver Beware..

SMB?? Why they already ignored the flag. They are going to use their "discretion" the person in command here doesn't appear to have any but, no matter. If someone needs to make an emergency ascent well, they are SOL because those that are supposed to protect have put them in potential danger. The flag is flown mostly for emergency ascents. A dive can be done without coming up until the end. Divers can then choose where they will come up, unlike in an emergency you need to come up where you are, and as long as you are within 50ft of the flag you are supposed to be OK. That is until the CG gets there and uses discretion CG style. Whether the CG is alongside or standing off 50’ with a PA system, divers aren’t going to get out of the water any faster or the boat get underway any sooner. There is no defending this as I understand it.

1. The flag was of proper size we had diver down and alpha flying
2. No imminent danger because we were not in the channel we where near it.
3. Does it matter a slow spinning prop or fast spinning prop in the head is going to hurt
4. Of course someone said something but NY is 100' minimum to the flag

1. Obviously Coast Guard does not recognize either flag or they would of hailed us on the radio or yelled.
2 Again we were flying both flags

Again this is not necessarily a knock on the USCG I would just like to know if this is standard procedure to endanger life to point out that we were near a channel, which we were not in. Also in NY you can be charged with reckless operation if you get too close (100') of a dive flag.

Thanks
Kevin

Things we don't know:

1. The size of the dive flag being flown by the vessel
2. If imminent danger to other shipping existed by being in a shipping lane
3. How fast and in what manner the USCG boat approached.
4. If attempts were made to hail the vessel prior to closing to under 50 ft.

Things I don't know:
1. If federal law recognizes the red/white dive flag
2. if an ICW requires flying both the "Alpha" Flag and the red/white flag to meet regulation

Until I know the answer to the first four questions I'd suggest we don't monday morning qb the USCG.

Michael

I know I sound like I'm knocking the CG but I'm really knocking the system and mindset that allows the CG or anyone else to bring a vessel closer to whatever the distance is wherever you are to a boat flying a dive flag. That somehow because they are hired to uphold the law they are above it or not subject to it the same way everyone else it. We are all supposed to be equal under the law. There is very little accountablity of those with authority.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom