Florida end of February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luiscb

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody

I'm thinking in travelling to Florida on February 2012 with my wife and two kids (5 and 6 yrs). I'm a Padi AI and CMAS *** and my wife is AOW. We would like to stay in a nice place for diving with the condition that we find an hotel with a nice beach.
What is your opinion? The Keys? I've heard is pretty good down there, but the beaches are nothing special.

North of Miami (Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach) ? I've heard that beaches are great but diving is quite hard as there are huge currents all the time.

What do you recommend me?
Thanks

Luis

If you want to dive more than hang at the beach, go to Key Largo, take a day and drive up to Miami to enjoy the beach for a day. If you want to hang out at a beach more then dive stay in Miami and drive down to Key Largo for a day of diving. About a hour and half drive. Key Largo has some very nice hotels, and Pennekemp state park is very nice for the kids. But not much in the way of beachs.

David

Hello everybody

I'm thinking in travelling to Florida on February 2012 with my wife and two kids (5 and 6 yrs). I'm a Padi AI and CMAS *** and my wife is AOW. We would like to stay in a nice place for diving with the condition that we find an hotel with a nice beach.
What is your opinion? The Keys? I've heard is pretty good down there, but the beaches are nothing special.

North of Miami (Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach) ? I've heard that beaches are great but diving is quite hard as there are huge currents all the time.

What do you recommend me?
Thanks

Luis

Diving is much better in West Palm, than the keys, Miami or Lauderdale..beaches are better in WP than the keys, Miami or Lauderdale ( unless you like a beach that is adjacent to an urban nightmare of traffic--as opposed to an Island with huge ecotourism potential)....Hotel prices are better by far in West Palm than the keys, Miami or Lauderdale..... Things to do when you are not diving are awesome in Palm Beach...
See www.sfdj.com for more on all this.

Just got back from three days in Key Largo and a day in West Palm. I love wrecks so I had a blast in Key Largo - we got lucky and had little/no current 2 of the three days on the Duane and Bibb (does NOT happen like that often, fate was :Din' at us). HOWEVER - I also really wished I had more time in West Palm... the reefs blew me away - they were gorgeous. Not to mention the turtles! Plus the Blue Heron Bridge is there, an experience I have to save for another time. So I would agree that West Palm is definitely a good option! It's definitely going to be the focus of my next trip to S Fl.

To answer your question about the currents - if I am not mistaken, it's unlikely you won't experience them wherever you go, esp. in February. But currents can make for really, really easy dives when you do a drift dive on a gorgeous reef :) They make for more challenging dives on wrecks, esp. at the 100+ ft level. YMMV.

Here's a nice beach you can enjoy and then beach dive from....
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/290550-lauderdale-sea-beach-dive.html Beach diving is easy here and currents don't blow out dives very often.

The Keys generally have terrible beaches, there are a few natural sand beaches and a few hotels maintain beaches but it is mostly rocky. Not a place I'd go if I were looking for a beach vacation. Now if you are looking for a diving, fishing, jet skiing, para-sailing vacation, the Keys are an excellent choice.

Aside from Lauderdale by the Sea, there are many many many nice beaches (very few are crappy) from Miami up to West Palm Beach. Dive boats are not terribly far from any of these beaches either. In Jupiter, you'll find fairly quite beaches and lots of room to stretch out, while in Miami and Ft Lauderdale, you'll find beaches that tend to be a bit more crowded: but there are exceptions to my generalization.

Concerning the question of the currents, WPB, Jupiter and Boynton (and some dives sites near Pompano and Ft Lauderdale) have currents. As a result, the dives are conducted as drift dives. You jump off the boat, drift with the current and the boat comes and picks you up. It is a wonderful type of diving that most people enjoy.

I like a little about everywhere in Florida but there is no one location that has it all.

The Keys are mainly for wreck diving but no real beaches.

Miami Beach is a great place for the singles crowd but not really for families.

Lauderdale-By-The-Sea is a great beach with a small town atmosphere that would be great for the family and it offers ok shore diving.

West Palm has some good drift diving and the beaches are nice.

But if I were taking my family on a Florida adventure I would start in Key West and make my way up to West Palm if I had the time and the money.

If you have never tried the springs I would also consider camping with the family at Ginnie Springs in Northcentral Florida.

Or you can always take the family to Disney World and you can go diving at EPCOT.

FB-Florida Scuba Diver

Since I have lived, worked, taught in both areas, here is my take from north to south.
They are all great diving areas for different reasons. Each has plenty to see.
  • Jupiter: deeper, drift diving - stronger current, but bigger critters - if you are hunter, the diving here is for you. Yes it is more advanced but it sounds like you both have more than enough experience to handle anything.
  • West Palm Beach:
There is a reason why the Blue Heron Bridge (there is a long ongoing thread here with lots of info/pics/conditions) was listed as one of the US's top ten best free (no cost - but a fill) shore dive sites. It is loaded with life - just look at the posted pics. Timing is important with the tides, but then any of the usual "Bridge Trolls" would be happy to be your guides that day.
Drift diving off the many great charter ops - is easy. Follow the guide with the ball for safety, take your SMBs when you are ready to come up - shoot your SMB during your safety stop. So much to see - turtles are my favorite, goliath groupers, and the reefs are full of critters. There are many great dive ops there and I have in previous threads recommended plenty of them.
This also included some wrecks such as the "corrididor" a drift dive thru 4 consecutive wrecks in a row. Easy enough to take AOW students.
  • Boynton Beach: Delray ledge is one of my favorites. The Castor is a great wreck to dive (deep) but the currents can be challenging. Underwater Explorers in Boynton Beach (ScubaKevDM here on SB) has lots of SB fans.
  • Local shore diving - contact some of the local SBers for advise on places like Dania Beach and LTBS.
  • Ft. Lauderdale - I haven't dove there as much, but Tennaco Towers was a blast. Good dive ops there including Sea Xperience.
  • Miami - someone else can give you more advice here - but the is where the beaches (& Ft. Laud) are if you want to play in the sand, also night life, singles, shopping.
  • Key Largo (upper Keys) where I currently live - true no real beaches, these islands are surrounded by mangrove, but the reefs are "Reefs to dive for" - Famous and lots of life - most 30ft deep or less, tons of life. Deep wrecks: Speigel Grove & Duane most popular, in 130 ft of sand but the decks are at 100ft with all the diving above that. A few threads here to read on the variable currents, but you go up and down mooring balls. You have enough experience and training for these or hire a guide for those dives.
  • Middle Keys - some diving and tons of fishing charters and its a pretty drive down on Overseas Hwy from Key Largo to Key West (about 2 hours)
  • Key West/Lower Keys - some reef diving including the Vandeberg (also sits in 130 ft but most of the dive and alot of structure to see at 90 ft and above/again variable currents), lots of night life, touristy/artsy shopping, historical tours: (Hemingway, Truman White House, Forts, Me Fischer Atocha, etc.), and of course the sunset at Mallory Square.
And don't forget we have great Springs in the North & Central areas of FL - open water springs, caverns, and caves. Again, lots of local SBers can give you specific info, including great guides.

February - the height (or should I say low temp) of our winter season, expect colder waters hi 60's and even colder air - thick wetsuit recommended (the locals may be in dry suits). Also unpredicatable winter storms from the north that can blow out diving for several days at a time. But you can also get spectacular clear viz and critters that aren't usually in the area - like the rare Blanket Octopus on Molasses Reef in early March (another Scubaboard thread)

If you post your plans on SB for SoFl (WPB, Ft. Laud, Blue Heron Bridge), I'm sure there will be a few SBers who will come out to dive with you or have a :coffee: or :cheers: with you at one of their favorite pubs/eateries.
If you come to the Key Largo, feel free to contact me with questions (whether you dive with more or another dive op - I have friends at many) and to drop by to say hi :wavey:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom