Where to get certified in South Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booyah24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all.. I'm new to the board and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations where I should go for open water certification in South Florida. I've checked a few reviews for local dive shops but I though to post the question on this board. I'm looking for a reputable place with excellent staff and most importantly experienced trainers. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Congrats on a great idea in posting here for input.

There are lots of good OW programs available South Florida. I've personally have had excellent experiences with both Scuba School and Gold Coast Scuba in Ft. Lauderdale.

To narrow it down, just exactly where in South Florida are you? What is your budget?

Meet up with the local dive shop of your choice. Chat with the OW instructor ahead of time. In my very humble opinion you'll ultimately learn more from someone you click with who has limited instructive experience than someone with great experience and credentials to whom you can't communicate or connect.

Good luck and hope to dive with you sometime...welcome to the dive community!

In Fort Lauderdale, I'd highly recommend UnderSeas Sports or Sea Experience. Gold Coast as Bill mentioned is also good, and I have years and years of personal experience with the first two, have sent dozens and dozens of people to both and they have all thanked me.

We were diving with Key Largo Dive Center this past week and mselenaous was training a student. I didn't really think about it until we were diving but I remember watching them in the water and thinking then that the student seemed a little young for instructor training. However I realize I have no sense of age so I put it away. Was I surprised when it came up during the SI that the dive I'd just seen them on, was the student's fourth *OW* dive! Point being, mselenaous had done a great job working with her on trim, buoyancy, comfort in the water, etc. I would have never guessed she was an OW student!

That's like asking where to buy pizza when in Rome.

Conch Republic Divers and the gang down at Key Largo Dive Center. Lots of great feedback about Conch Republic and when I first got on the board I actually talked with NetDoc one night, on his dime, and he answered a lot of questions for me that I now forget. But any instructor that's willing to spend that kind of time I would feel comfortable taking a class with.

Walter: 'South' FLorida is just south of 'North' Florida.

Walter: 'South' FLorida is just south of 'North' Florida.
Um, he didn't ask where "is" South Florida, he asked where "in" South Florida the OP wanted to take lessons.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom