intro limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question wasn't to cheat, but to keep within the rules. It wasn't clear to me, not having been an intro diver, how the rules work. If main line strictly is the limit, then that is the rule and I'm unwilling to bend it.

Thanks for clearing up for me.

I guess one way to think about it is to think about whether the Intro diver is trained to cope with the problems that might occur if you run line into a side tunnel. If you disappear, can that diver make the right navigational decision to get home? If the line breaks, or the side tunnel silts out, is that Intro diver ready to cope with something more complicated than simply acquiring the main line and following it out?

When I was GUE Cave 1 (which is one T, no jumps) we discovered we could run a primary reel to a lot of jump lines that come off early in some of the caves. This wasn't completely disapproved -- but when we got to running a primary reel along the main line, and then along the jump line, and then to a SECONDARY jump, we got our hands firmly slapped. They really did not want us in secondary tunnels -- in part because of navigational issues, in part because secondary tunnels tend to have more restrictions and smaller passage, and more silt, and in part because they didn't want novice cave divers kicking the stuffing out of delicate formations.

If you're going to do a dive anyways... why ask about rules? :idk:

Intro limitation is main line only with no navigational decisions.

I agree with Rob.

I don't know why people want to treat intro limits like an IRS loophole. When you cheat the IRS you get a fine with interest,but you cheat intro limits,stats have proven lately you get a granite headstone,and mentioned in the newspaper in alphabetical order. Typically if someone wants to do something Darwinian we say "who cares",but you should have concern. When there is an accident,especially violating rules/limits,the net effect is there is a loss of landowner trust,and fear of liability;hence we lose privledges,or becomes difficult to gain new access.

Wormil isn't going to break rules, he just didn't know intro limits because he was never intro.

Any instructors here spend time telling students how to safely dive with people below their limitations?

Having never been intro, I don't know the rules. The diver, being newly certified was telling me of the dive they did with the instructor, during training. I was curious if that was a "one up level" dive (yay video game reference) or if that was part of the intro level rules.

My goal in diving is not to bend and break rules for the lower level diver. It is however, to keep them safe and within the guidelines of their instruction (as previously stated, I'm not familiar with). All of my friends have dove my level with me, and I intend to follow and dive the lowest level.

If you're going to do a dive anyways... why ask about rules? :idk:

I appreciate your spiteful post. I'm pretty sure I've stated several times that I'm not planning to break the rules. Maybe you should learn to read. I was wrong, SuPrBuGmAn, this post was the biggest pile of **** in the thread. Well done Tegg, I really didn't think it was possible.

I'll try harder next time :/

In my defence, Tegg is (much)older than me, and therefor more experienced.

BTW, I'm apparently still not clear on what it is you're asking about doing(or not doing?).

I think Wormil got trolled. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom