ULCS vs. i-Torch Arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for opinions on beginner tray/arm sets. I've been shooting for a couple years now with just a point & shoot and I think my diving and photo abilities justify increasing my investment. I have a DSLR, but I'm not ready to go all in, so my plan is to buy a single strobe to start, use it with my P&S, maybe upgrade P&S to a Canon S95 or G12, then maybe down the line go the whole DSLR+10-17 lens+port+zoom gear+focus light, etc. etc.

So, starting out, I'd like a tray/arm set that would support one strobe, my current point & shoot (canon WP-DC38), possibly an upgraded Canon point & shoot, and eventually could be expanded to serve a DSLR setup.

It seems like ultralight would be the way to go, but pricing it out on backscatter, as far as i can understand, would be over $200. The package linked below looks comparable, but there is very little information about the arm/tray manufacturer. As far as I can tell, it's i-Torch. Judging by appearances, it sure looks an awful lot like ULCS.

Modular Set 1 - Trays, Arms, Handles & Clamps - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

Does anyone have and opinions or experience with i-Torch arms/trays?

Thanks,
bmorescuba

bmorescuba, I have had the set from OOS for several years and have had no issues with them but as I have never had any of the ULCS system, I can't offer you any direct comparison. I can say I find the grip on the handle very comfortable and I haven't noticed any flex in the system or deterioration of the components to date. I don't know if they are heavier than the ULCS system however which is something you may want to find out if you will be using them often. As I only have the luxury of being in the water 10-12 days a year, I opted for price over brand name but have never had any regrets for doing so.

Do give consideration to what strobe you will be purchasing prior to ordering the tray/arm set so you can order the proper strobe adapter at the same time.

Is there really any difference btwn the aluminum used in iDas and ULCS parts? I have the iDas system and they seem to be high quality. They're pretty new so I can't comment on their longevity.

It is not just longevity that matters although I have and use regularly ULCS stuff that is at least 20 years old. The real advantage is that the ultralight stuff allows you to set enough friction to hold your strobe in place but not so much that you can not make small adjustments on the fly. If money is really a big concern the OOS stuff (made somewhere in China) will work, but at least in my hands, not quite as well as the ULCS stuff. The $75 difference in price is not trivial but depending on your Starbucks habits could be only 2 weeks of caramel machiatos.

Bill

i-DAS allows just as much friction to adjust.

Comparing my new i-DAS stuff for my s95 set up to my dad's ULCS for his G11, I see no reason why you would pay more for ulcs. the i-DAS stuff works EXACTLY the same and even mates with ULCS stuff. The only difference is the purple orings.

I haven't tried the new i-Das stuff recently so you may be right. On the other hand, in a year it may not be working the same; hopefully it will, while at least from most people's experience, the ULCS stuff will work like new for 10 years. I do like the purple o-rings. If the quality is the same as the i-torch video it should be fine, they make a very nice light.
Bill

I met with them at a scuba show here in Bangkok and they told me that they are made at the same factory as the INON arms. The o-rings are softer but they are also a bit bigger. Work quite well underwater.

If they are made from the same materials as the Inon arms, they should be fine. I was under the impression that the Inon parts were actually made in Japan but that may be from years ago.
Bill

The iDas reps told me this although it could have been a story. Looking at the INON focus lights and iDas focus lights, several look identical so it seemed plausible. The booth that they were working carries both iDas and INON products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom