Bluetooth Dive Computer Yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For underwater use, that 2.4 GHz signal is not going to work worth a crap.

OK, I didn't realize that. So scratch bluetooth, use whatever the hoseless AIs do.
I thought that most of them were radio (vice ultrasound), but I'll accept that all RF isn't the same. In which case, I suppose, I really hijacked the thread. Sorry.

Thanks for the info on Shearwater. But even if I had the inclination to spend that much, it's too large for me. I'm interested because I travel light, and without a laptop when I can. My iPhone has a nice DiveLog app, and it would be great to be able to pair a dive computer with it. I don't agree that pairing devices is a pain, and I've never had to redo a pairing with any device. In addition, there are more computers sold today that don't have IR than those that don't have bluetooth. My desktop, which doesn't have IR, is so overloaded with USB devices that an 8 port HUB isn't enough. I don't want another cable and I don't want another dongle. On my laptop, which does have IR, the IR is used by drivers as a remote control receiver, and I'm sure it would be more of a pain to have to disable the drivers for IR to work with the laptop each time than to pair devices once. And while IR might work ok, fact is it is not designed for data transfer while bluetooth is. Bluetooth wouldn't eat batteries unless it is enabled, which it wouldn't be except for data transfer.

At any rate, a diver computer manufacturer who delivers a rec diver/consumer diver computer with bluetooth will set itself off from the rest. Others can keep track of their dongles.

Modern tech obviously has numerous advantages, but for squirting a few kilobytes across an inch of air, IR ain't bad. The cost including it in any gadget is probably negligible and I hope it sticks around, even if Bluetooth gets added too.

T I'm interested because I travel light, and without a laptop when I can.... In addition, there are more computers sold today that don't have IR than those that don't have bluetooth.
I've been using my HP pocket PC (remember those?) which has built in IR to transfer data ever since I started using the Smart com, Using Travel trak on the pocket PC and Smart trak on the PC. No need to travel with a laptop, small and lite like a cell phone.
Adding a $5.00 dongle allowed me to finally use my laptop and desktop with the same computer. BTW none of my computers have built in bluetooth, so it would require a dongle either way. :idk:
Too bad the newer devices have decided that IR isn't used anymore I like the idea of a sealed case rather than a cable port with an O ring.

The Shearwater Predator uses BlueTooth. Since it is a radio, there is no hole through the case.

Bruce

I would vote for bluetooth as well ... quite a lot of new laptops, netbooks and even smartphones have bluetooth. It would be simply amazing if I could pull Android smartphone right after the dive, load the data IN in few seconds without any complicated settings and cables, add photos right on the dive site, notes, ...

bluetooth could be enabled only on request and thus it would not eat more battery power

OK, a year plus later, is Shearwater still the only option? I'm looking for something smaller and a little more basic (ie, less expensive, geared for recreational diving.)

Back
Top Bottom