REC wing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstitely

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, Im new to diving and new to this site. I recently got my OW and started to aquire gear. I got a great deal on a transpac II and rec wing setup. I have dove it one time for around an hour. I noticed that I could not stal level while nuetral. The wing would inflate on one side and when I tried to roll a little to get level the air would rush to the other side and I would be leaning the other way. Can this be fixed or is it something I will have to overcome the best way I can?

I have dove this same set-up for 100's of dives.
This is how I counteract the situation of the u shaped wing.

You can do a modified shoulder roll after adjusting air in wing.

If there isn't enough space to do this you can shift / rotate the
harness around you until you can get where a shoulder roll is appropriate.

Although, at less than 25 dives, you shouldn't be finding yourself in such a place.

Good luck, Dive safe.

Sorry to tell you this, but the rec wing is terrible for single tank diving IMO; it's far too big. You can get a dive rite travel wing to fit on your transpac that will be much more comfortable for single tanks, then save the rec wing if you ever get into doubles. If you do go for the travel wing, be sure to get one of the newer, narrower models; they're called "travel EXP" or something like that.

The problem you're having is exasperated by the too-wide profile of the rec wing, which causes each side to wrap around the tank like a big taco shell. This makes it more difficult to move air around from one side to the other and generally fine tune your buoyancy and trim.

I did notice the tank wrap. Is their anything I can do to stop that with the setup I have bc after buying what I have money for another wing is a long time away.

There should be a bungee cord on the front edge of the wing. Tighten it down by down by unclipping the hook on each side and stretch it up to the top most ring on the same side. This helps reduce the tacoing. I have used one for single and doubles diving for about 4 years.

Thanks for all the help ill definately try the bungee.

Back
Top Bottom