Fill your own pony? How often do you get viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkotheimer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is another "please reinforce my bad behavior" troll, but here goes...

I use a transfill adapter with my pony bottle, which means I top it off it myself from a full-size tank and do not need to ask for a fill at the shop or on the boat. This takes away one of the primary incentives for getting an annual inspection, which is "you can't get a fill without a valid sticker."

To put it delicately, are there a lot of divers out there who let their visual inspection schedule "slide" a bit when it comes to their pony tanks?

I will often top off my smaller tanks (pony or inflation cylinder) from my bigger steel tanks, however when it comes around to get the tank VIP'd I will do some drills with the pony or use it as a stage bottle to breathe it down. I also VIP my own tanks so I'll inspect my tanks when it's convenient to me and not wait 'til the last minute.

To put it delicately, are there a lot of divers out there who let their visual inspection schedule "slide" a bit when it comes to their pony tanks?

Maintenance is maintenance. It's your life support.

I have fallen into that same trap. I have maybe 15 tanks and only a few ponies, so they get the most time in the water of any of my tanks. Your pony probably needs to be checked more often than your other tanks.

You really should be pulling the vlave and lubricating and cleaning up the valve face on an aluminum tank annually at least.

I find a transfer whip absolutely essential, especially on multi-day trips when the pony may leak a little here and there..

If I could VIP my own tanks I would do it more often than annually. Does anyone know how 12 months became the standard for VIP and what research that is based on? I always thought it surprising to learn in OW class that some countries require hydros every year and the US only requires them every five. Anyone ever look at the hydro stamps on rental tanks? I never have, but am curious to check next time I have to rent a tank.

Maintenance is maintenance. It's your life support.

You've really got to let this "life support" nonsense go the way of the dodo bird. However, I do agree that tank maintenance and inspection is important, but it's REALLY not rocket science. I have an AL13 pony (which I don't think I've ever actually used on a dive, but it's handy for working on regulators.....) that I inspected carefully and now transfill from larger tanks. I can't see paying $20 for someone at the dive shop to look in the tank every year, tell me what I can easily determine for myself, and then fill it.

I have to agree. I don't consider scuba equipment life support. They are tools to me. None of my scuba equipment will save my life. I alone will be the only person to save my life while under water. If I'm complacent while underwater, my scuba equipment won't kick in to save my life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom