Large Pony Tanks in Shallow Water ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In shallow waters (inland Michigan lakes and Ohio quarries) I just use two 40cft pony tanks. In deeper waters (Great Lakes and deeper side of Gilboa) I use two 80cft tanks. Both setups are backmounted independent doubles, but last year I bought a sidemount rig to play with when I get some more free time.

I dive with a steel 120 and an alu 40 pony/stage bottle. The versatility of the 40 allows comfort for emergencies in deep dives as well as shallow. Once you become use to it, you don't really think about it. It does become 2nd nature, the 19cf is fine for shallow but I like killing 2 birds with one 40.

.... I enjoy some monkey diving off my boat in local lakes with a small tank, regulator mask and fins, not much else.
.... ill give the monkey diving thing eventually, looks fun.

[c]

Now why would anyone call that monkey diving? :eyebrow:[/c]

haha!! You dont even tie the tank to you :D that looks pretty cool. looks like a great way to tern my occasional beach snorkeling days to scuba days.

Anyone ever use large 30 or 40 cu.ft ponies in shallower 15 - 30 feet of water as redundant air when soloing? i know that a 19 cu.ft would be more then enough for that depth, i just want to know if anyone use bigger ones. are they inconvenient for shore diving?

the reason i ask is because i have a 40 cu. ft that i recently got from a family friend. i would like to know if i can be used for the type of shallow water diving i do. i currently don't have a pony when soloing.. soooo.... got to start.

Diving that shallow I would not use a bail-out bottle at all. I have used a 30 cu/ft tank as my only air supply in water that shallow. I attach it to a harness like this for the back pack.

Attachments

• IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 263
Like some have stated, at that depth range you can easily perform a CESA. Some situations might dictate a simulated overhead environment (ie. kelp or boat traffic) in which case having a redundant air supply would be ideal.

If you're thinking of progressing to a deeper depth later on then you'll eventually "require" a redundancy of 40cf.
In that case training in shallow waters and getting used to it in your configuration would be a smart idea IMO.

It all depends how much of a hassle it is VS the benefits it provides you with.

I dive a 130 cf 3442psi and a 30 cf pony on all solo dives no matter the depth. I hard mount it to my main so it does put me off balance and need to play around with the weight quite a bit to get it right. I like having all that gas and regret not getting the 40 cf. Sometimes I think about adding another 30cf on the other side for the deeper dives haha that would solve my balance issues lol :) but normal divers would think im a freak with 3 tanks on my back haha

Hello OP,

I agree with the people who posted that the surface is your redundant air supply in your scenario. However, taking your pony for training purposes or to create "muscle memory" is a different story.

Remember, 10', 20', and 30' are deco depths for deeper dives. And usually, regulator tank systems give you warning before they completely fail--they usually free-flow. So, breath off the free flow and ascend slowly.

OOA at 30'? If this is the issue, please learn to control your breathing and to regularly adjust your dive plan to fit your air consumption.

Caveat: A pony bottle is a great idea while diving in your swimming pool, if you choose to dive with the pool covered! Any overhead issues should require the prudent diver to have redundancy.

My .02 cents, and they aren't worth spit!

markm

For 30' max depth, I wouldn't bother either, but then again in the local lake I may think I'll just search for sunglasses or something at 20-30' and if find the viz there terrible I'll drop down to where I can get a few feet of viz...that could be 60-80' easily, so taking a single 40 is SOP.

If a 40 is "too heavy" you may want to put some thought to your fitness & strength!

I usually solo with a steel 130 tank with DIN H-valve and 2 regs. I carry my AL-19 Pony on every dive I do shallow or deep, buddy or solo.
I've needed the Pony 2 times in the last 5 years. Both of those times I was at about 40 feet and using a single AL-80 as my main tank.
I don't have a AL-40 but I'd like to get one. I think it would become as much a part of me as the AL-19 is now shallow or deep.

BTW.... I have not posted here at Solo in a long time but I'm still going it alone a lot of the time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom