EFR Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EFRI Trainer Manual:
To maintain the Emergency First Response Instructor rating, individuals must renew their rating every two years by submitting a renewal application to Emergency First Response. Renewal requirements include teaching at least one Emergency First Response course every two years.

The amount f time it's been since your rating has lapsed will determine what action is needed to regain the teaching status. There is an online refresher on the PADI Pro's site (Pro Development, EFR), that is usually enough to regain the rating...

The amount f time it's been since your rating has lapsed will determine what action is needed to regain the teaching status. There is an online refresher on the PADI Pro's site (Pro Development, EFR), that is usually enough to regain the rating...

PADI seems to disagree with EFR. EFR states basically you must teach one EFR course every 2 years. PADI says you don't have to teach OR take a course every 2 years or whatever, but you must "renew". $%^#!! You mention the online refresher course is USUALLY enough to regain the rating. PADI's renewal/refresher course--$ involved? The reason I ask all this is my DM instructor said she did EFR Instructor to avoid having to take the course every 2 years-with the travel and the $90 charge to refresh with the dummy. I've done this twice now. And there would be no opportunity for me to teach it as we have about 12 Instructors on staff, and are basically the only shop to speak of in the province . Maybe it just sort of gets shuffled under the table if you take the course.? I review my EFR manual daily, so have no shortcommings here, but just don't want to drive 100 miles round trip every 2 years and pay $90. I have e mailed my shop owner re this.

Just tried to check the refresher out online, and got the following message:

'This application is currently under maintenance. It should be right back up within a short time. Thanks for your patience.'

I'd recommend you to e-mail someone at PADI or/and EFR and ask them for a definitive answer.

Would it be an option for you to team-teach EFR courses with the other instructors ? If they have a few students, you can help teach the course, and then sign one of them off at the end. This is a valid way of meeting the renewal requirements...

Just tried to check the refresher out online, and got the following message:

'This application is currently under maintenance. It should be right back up within a short time. Thanks for your patience.'

their online crossover is out as well, I emailed about that and got this as a response

PADI:
Thank you very much for your email. Unfortunately, at this point in time the Crossover Online course is not available through Emergency First Response and we have not been informed as to when this will be up and running by the I.T. Department.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the refresher as well...

As far as I understand, it is the "new" standard changed back in 2008 that EFRi does not need to teach every 2 years to maintain their teaching status, however the instructor manual has not been updated yet. (I will phone EFR up on Monday to confirm) In order to renew, an EFRi will only need to agree upon updating themselves by means of reading the responders quarterly as well as pay the renewal fee every 2 years. Talking about teaching the course, you do not have to target divers only. EFR is a course for everyone, diver and non diver alike. So your market is a lot larger than you think. Also FYI, Canadian Federal Government has approved the EFR program, and now are accredited by Canada Occupational Safety and Health (COSH). We will teach this course as Workplace First Aid under a modified curriculum and issue a different C-Card. EFR is working with the provincial level to get them approve also. Two other provinces have already approved the program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom