Why did you start Scuba Diving, and what makes you continue it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started diving because at the time I lived and worked in a remote part of Saudi Arabia quite close to the Yemen in a reasonably large mixed American, British expat community ( Khamis Mushayt). At the weekend the compound used to empty as people went off down to the beaches to dive, so I went down to the beach and had a snorkel round the reefs and was completely blown away by the life. I saw Turtles, Barracuda, a whole host of really exotic fish and was hooked I wanted to dive from that moment.

I have now come to realize how privileged I was, no other place I have dived has come close to the Farisan Banks as far as diversity of marine life. But to be honest I am just as happy in a cold silty West Coast Scottish Loch, I just love being underwater.

Greetings Hugo and I started diving to have a shared activity with my wife while on vacation.
What happened after that was really something extraordinary I fell in love with diving!
Within a very short time of OW,AOW, a vacation trip to MX I was undeniably lost to it!
We purchased all our gear and started diving not just on vacation but weekends locally.
This grew for me into Rescue and DM classes two seasons of assisting training diving all sorts of conditions and places.

My goals and diving at this point took a turn toward the Technical realm with advanced dives.
In the different levels of training and dives I have undoubtably continued to grow as a diver but grown to love diving even more.
I can enjoy dives in no vis, 100' feet of vis, off a boat, in a quarry as long as I am underwater it is all good.

Diving is a way of life and not just an activity for me now, it is who I am.
Diving has made my life far more interesting and taken me places I only dreamed of.
I fell for the sirens song and have been lost to her ever since!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Started diving to save money by working under my boat. Sold the boat and just continue to dive!

I was in Cozumel every 4 and 5 days, and there was a dive op at the bar a majority of the cruise ship crew hung out at. My girlfriend and I (as well as quite a few other people we knew), had the money, so one by one we all started getting certified. I fell in love with diving, so when i moved to the UK, I learned to dive dry, and just kept diving

I got into diving cuz of a certain old tv show and a great love of water and sport's in water.
And now many years later the luster of diving has never faded and most of my friends are now divers. It has been one of the biggest changes in my life.

I took an Adult Learn to Swim class at a local college about six years ago, and realized that I had learned enough to get into a scuba class. It was actually kind of a lark at first. I discovered Scubaboard pretty early on, and ended up way over my head in a Fundies class that fall. What really did it, though, was a trip to Mexico with the Hartford shop and those first guided cenote dives--I'm well and truly hooked!

I have always been fascinated by the water world beneath the surface due to the old Sea Hunt show. I used to free dive at night on a lake I lived on and just wanted to continue the experience. I however like most never found the time and have started at an advanced age(57). I am however splashing at every chance I get. Living next to the St. Lawrence river is a definite plus.:coffee:

Easier to do & more to see than snorkelling. Just stay still & the fish swim past!

... my ex-wife made me do it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom