Discover Scuba for Disabled Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTub

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi All
A couple of weeks ago we had the great pleasure to take 13 disabled people for a Discover Scuba, below is a short video of the event.

[video]http://youtu.be/8EcVVgROvAc[/video]

Hey DiveTub ....... Keep that going bro. That is FANTASTIC.

I'm taking a buddy diver course in 2 weeks to learn to take Disabled Veterans diving.

Being a disabled Veteran myself, it is EXTREMELY REWARDING to take the Vets out and to be with them in the water. It is great to teach them then hang out with them; especially being able to relate with them as a disabled veteran diver myself.

If ANYONE in Miami, FL area would like to participate in the dive buddy training program, or who would like to learn how you can help us with helping the disabled Veterans, please send me a message.

It is rewarding and extremely important with helping veterans recover and return to normalcy. We need ALL the help and ALL the volunteers we can get.

Thanks

USVet

DiveTub,
Great video and it looks like you had a great pool for the Discover Scuba.

SUGGESTION - In Handicapped SCUBA Association International (HSA) we were trained to NEVER have the FEET UNCOVERED EVER. They need dive boots on. In several frames you see individuals with paraplegicia dragging their feet on the bottom of the pool. This can lead to a sore and many months of recovery. This can be avoided by wearing dive boots or other foot covering. In one class I was teaching a well meaniing non-HSA trained individual moved a diver a few feet on the deck before putting his dive boots on. The resulting sore on his foot caused him to miss the rest of the dive training course and spend 4 months healing.

But over all it looks like all had a good time.

Nice! Neutral buoyancy is a great equalizer. One of my greatest joys has been conducting Discover Scuba with some of our local wounded warriors.

That was the question I had from the mother of my first deaf student just a couple weeks ago. I discussed how hearing is beneficial for diving, but generally speaking she's right. It would be great to sign everything I write down on a slate. He and his mother, father and brother were having complete conversations underwater, I thought how cool is that!

When I was done, we both had a great sense of accomplishment. I learned just enough sign language to communicate intentions, he already know the dive signals as they are mostly the same. He was a smart kid, did all the skills first try.

But here is a question for all professionals to ponder:

On the Medical Questioner: ___ Ear disease or surgury, hearing loss or problems with balance

If you are born deaf, never had surgery, do not have an ear disease and have no problem with balance - Do you answer Y or N

- like I said smart kid- when he brought up - How can you lose something you never had?

The family re-scheuled the dive for the next day after going to a local Urgent Care to get a waiver, but a good question none the same.

Hello,

As a disabled vet, I would be honored to be able to work with other vets in the monterey area in any capacity. Does anyone have any information on how to get started? Are there any organizations that put diving partners together. Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you, JB House

Back
Top Bottom