RIP Solo Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It aint sport, it's life support

If this was a solo certification dive then surely he was under observation by whoever was [-]harassing[/-] task loading him?
The usual stuff - rip mask off, unscrew dump valve, shut air off etc.
All the many articles say is that the body was "found" with no further information.
Very curious to see if any further information appears.

Have you taken a solo diving course? No harrassment is involved. In the SDI version at least, the check dives are pretty brief and involve compass navigation out and back and shooting a lift bag - other wise the skills are pretty much the same as an OP cert with the exception of the diver being equipped with a redundant gas supply.

Most of the course is academic in terms of planning and developing a mindet to properly equip and configure, properly assess your limitations, properly evaluate the environment and related risks, plan acordingly and then dive well within the limits of your skills and abilities.

You can't say "never" but generally speaking the odds of surviving a heart attack while diving are pretty slim.

It does not mean much as a case study, but in 25+ years of diving I have seen two people dead on the beach from heart attacks (neither successfully resucitated) and had a technical diving team mate die on the surface following a heart attack on a pretty fish dive with his girlfriend. All three events were individuals with first heart attacks.

A buddy is also not the answer to everything. Last year I was stung by a wasp of some sort in the early hauling the gear phases of a cave dive. Since it was about 30 minutes post sting before I got in the water I had no reservations about it, but then about 45 minutes later and about 2,300 feet back in a cave, through one fairly low but wide minor restriction and several fairly narrow passages, I had a reaction, became nauseous and vomited. My thought at the time was this was a really bad place to have my first ever reaction to a bee/wasp sting. Fortunately I immediately felt better. Had I become incapacitated it would have been very difficult for my team mate to get me out of the cave and our agreement in such situations is that one of us needs to get out alive, so rescue efforts will only continue to the point they create a significant survival risk for the remaining team mate(s).

The worst case scenario with a health emergency under water is not that a diver dies, but rather that the incident evolves into a multiple fatality when a team mate goes too far in an attemtped rescue.

-----

In that regard, solo diving is no better or worse than any form of overhead diving with a team mate, in that the rescue options can be very limited in both situations. I would not consider discontinuing cave diving or deep wreck diving as I enjoy those pursuits and I'd rather die there than in a traffic accident on I-95 or falling dead at my desk. Similarly, there are times when I really enjoy the solitude of solo diving and the same preferences apply. Everybody dies, it's just the lucky ones that get to go doing something they enjoy.

The issue remains; if he had a buddy, he might have been rescued and resuscitated. Unanticipated medical conditions can be a death sentence to the solo diver.

CORRECT!! He MIGHT, but the truth of the matter is that a buddy does not guarentee anything. This so called buddy might have just panicked instead of helping. Point being there are no guarentees. Flame someplace that cares for your opinion as I cannot think of anyone that gives a dark log here about your thoughts.

Okay besides our local "hero" :eyebrow:

90% of my dives are with "buddies", over 90% of them, the buddies are OW students.
How can I ever expect them to help me when the poo hits the fan :confused:

I'm almost 50
Like my smokes and a few beers :D
196cm tall and weigh 78kg
Am I at risk :confused: maybe :idk:
But I just trust my self more then ANY(besides my wife) bubby.

@ the hero, you just might have saved ONE, but the odds are just against you.
CPR works in around 20% of the cases, so the next 4 you "rescue" will die.:eyebrow:
Just a fact of life.
If you don't like solo,fine, but don't argue here.:no:

The point is; he was in a training course under instruction. He had an instructor, dosen't that trump a buddy? May be we should turn the discussion to the poor quality of instruction and instructors these days.

As for the death sentance, we all live under one. I personally believe an individual has the right to make his own choices along the way.

Bob
--------------------
"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

I don't know who the instructor is but based on the info we have in this thread and on other threads on this board, I find it a lot far fetched to cast shadows on the instructor's skills. Most certainly, he was there and made the best effort to save a life but **** happens. I would be more carefull before throwing rotten tomatoes at someone who might have did what he had to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom