MT Storm Petition. please sign

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Please circulate this, sign it, and return to me at jimlap212@comcast.net
Make sure to keep adding to the numbers on the list. Thanks. We need to fill this up and get it back as soon as possible. There is going to be a meeting with Power company officials, diver reps, and WV DNR- hopefully within two weeks.

PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE MT. STORM LAKE TO PUBLIC DIVING!

By signing this petition, I am adding my name in support of keeping Mt. Storm Lake open to the public for diving, swimming, fishing, boating, and general use. I want to thank Dominion Power for their past support of Scuba Divers and their generous and thoughtful provisions of maintenance, trash service, and portable restrooms. Mt. Storm Lake is a wonderful, natural, resource for divers to use for training, practice, and recreational diving. Please do not close this facility! In signing this petition I am also indicating my willingness as a diver and member of the community to abide by whatever guidelines are set forth by Dominion and/or the DNR for its continued use of the area.

NAME
ADDRESS OR EMAIL
PHONE #
CERTIFICATION # (If a diver)
Approx # of times a year you dive at Mt. Storm

1.James A Lapenta Jimlap212@comcast.net 724-255-3765 Instructor # 204 5 with students

I emailed you the response. I am forwarding this to my dive club too.

Just to let everyone know. Dominion Power is on our side. That said, the plant is getting lots of phone calls on this. That needs to stop! If you want to help, sign the petition, but do not call the plant. Thanks.

Jim, do you need just the name etc. info, or actual facsimile signatures?

Also, what's the connection between Dominion Power and the WV DNR? Does DP own the lake, or does the DNR have jurisdiction?

Just the info I have in mine is fine. We do not need actual signatures. They realize that there are people all over the entire region that use the lake. Getting actual sigs is not realistic in this case given that and the time factor. I found out last night that the meeting with the power co, divers, and DNR is going to take place next tuesday as it stands now. So I need to get these by the end of weekend to have time to put them altogether. Also if you are not comfortable giving out your phone number that's ok. But we do need an email or mailing address.

The relationship between the power co and DNR is this. Dominion Power owns the property. They keep the porta Johns and trash receptacles in place. DNR does the "policing" of the area since DP does not have the time or necessary people to do it. But they do have to do what DP says. Of course they also enforce WVa law as regards to boating, fishing, etc.

This action by DNR was NOT supposed to take place. The issue was raised due to a confrontation between swimmers and boaters on the boat docks. It actually was a safety issue. The operations manager (who happens to be a diver:D)at the plant was going to address this after a business trip he had to go on. However the DNR took it upon themselves to take this action after swimmers were told no swimming period because of their actions at the dock. They then said well what about the divers. That's how we got dragged into this.

DP recognizes how beneficial our presence is to the area as do many of the local businesses. I'm optimistic that things wil work out and not take to long to do so. When they do (fingers crossed) I will be going back down as I hope others will. I also hope that like me you all will show your appreciation to the plant and ESPECIALLY to the local businesses by patronizing them. The gas stations, the campground, and the motels. I also will put in a special plug for Evelyn's Stained Glass Restaurant. All of them are great to divers and we need to be good to them.

So sign up, get your friends to sign, and get it back to me. And don't call the plant :no:. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom