Scuba Activities ? (things to do underwater?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What this boils down to, is how easily people get bored with diving.

Some are perfectly happy diving in shallow reefs looking at the pretty fishies, while others want more
This is a pet peeve of mine, so please don't take it personally.

Pretty fishies? What are you, 7 years old? They're fish. If your profile is correct, then I have done many more wreck dives than you have dives, including the Rhone, the Yongala, and a bunch in the Truk Lagoon. All great dives, by the way. The wrecks themselves are largely intact, there are artifacts like massive wrenches, zero planes, tanks, ammunition, etc., and they are teeming with life.

I have also been on a number of wreck dives in the Northeastern United States where the wreck was a few barely discernible lumps in a featureless expanse of ocean floor, and its attraction was the fish, and the fishing gear they attracted. (I concede I have not been to the marquee wrecks of the Northeast.)

If you strip away the marine life they host, none of the wrecks I've been on offers anything close to the amazing complexity of a healthy coral reef. If marine life doesn't interest you, fine, but to say that you want more than the marine life has to offer is just an admission that you are too oblivious or too unskilled to appreciate the myriad complexity of the marine environment, or that you are diving in some singularly boring spots. If you are bored with diving after 0-24 dives, now would be a good time to sell your gear and take up golf.

Last edited:
I really want to make a waterproof/slightly negative version of monopoly. I think would be fun to play on a training platform.

My LDS does an underwater Monopoly charity event every year (coming up in 2 weeks). It is pretty interesting. They have pics of past events on their website they may help you figure out how to go about making a set. Blue Meridian Dive Center Online Click the charity events tab, and the pics will be there.

There is also becomming a fellow shell collector and joining Seashell-Collector.com or Let's Talk Seashells.

I collect glass bottles I find underwater. A lot of times that's pretty fun to do. I get especially excited when I find new and unique ones! :dork2:

Oh, and I'm also a member of my local dive rescue/recovery team. Not exactly the most lighthearted activities to do underwater though.

Recently on a dive in the Caymans one of our group was having trouble decending. We were waiting at the mooring pin for maybe 5 min. I was looking around and found a small lead weight on the bottom. (like one you would use for fishing) so we preceded to try and play catch where one diver would go up maybe 10 or so feet above the other and the other would try and catch it as it fell. Really hard.. but fun.

B.

Stuff, to whilst diving? Well let me see, there is...
- catching lobsters
- um, some other stuff which isn't as much fun
- ...maybe taking some photos?

There was actually an interesting variation on this theme in the tec diving forum a while back - what do you do to kill time during long deco stops. There were some interesting posts there, although nothing R-rated.

catch.jpg

My kids in Bermuda last week. That was a relatively light lump of something (?coal) near the Mary Celeste wreck...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom