best single tank wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScotty561

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What's the best overall single tank wing while using HP steel 100 in south fl. Been looking around and the hog 32# and dive rite voyager 35# look like possible choices but what do you think?

There isn't a best. If you own it, use it and ensure no leaks, then you are the only one to decide. Personally, I use a 30# Oxycheq for warm water diving in South Florida. No STA required.

Dive safe.

Define best. Is it most durable? Most streamline? ..... Most wings from major manufactures are pretty good these days. Just make sure you get one with the right amount of lift, NOT the more the better.

'Best' is subjective unless you wanted to put out some parameters. I use an 18# Oxycheq in North Florida. It works fine.

Yeah when I say best I'm taking into account the construction, how durable it is, how streamlined, the price, the warranty that comes with it.

Yeah when I say best I'm taking into account the construction, how durable it is, how streamlined, the price, the warranty that comes with it.

Some considerations:

Construction: The thickness of the inner bladder, and the type of material it's made from. Another item to look at is if the inner bladder is matched to the dimensions of the outer shell. Some wings have a bladder that is actually bigger than the outer shell, which can lead to a lot of folds and wrinkles in the inner bladder. I have one wing that's made this way, and another that isn't.

Durability: There are a few different materials used in the external construction of wing. There are plenty of debates to be found here. Consider the thickness of the inner bladder.

Streamlined: Some wings with the same advertised lift will be wider than others. I think the HOG wing might be a little wider than some others. This may or may not matter to you.

Warranty/Customer Service: A quick search here will reveal which companies have good customer service and which ones don't.

Price: Quality lasts long after the price has been forgotten.

I wouldn't presume to know what"s the "best". Personally I use a certain wing that is 30 lbs. of lift, it's a horseshoe shape, very narrow and streamlined, has a bladder constructed of the thickest and possibly most durable inner material. It's outer shell is constructed of ballistic nylon, and it has lettering along the sides that are orange in color.

Have fun shopping.

-Mitch

'Best' is subjective unless you wanted to put out some parameters. I use an 18# Oxycheq in North Florida. It works fine.

Can 18# float the full rig?

HP100 is -10lb full. Add AL backplate, regulator, and can light and you are probably very close to 18#.

Can 18# float the full rig?

HP100 is -10lb full. Add AL backplate, regulator, and can light and you are probably very close to 18#.

It's OK-I don't have a can light...don't know how much that factors into it.

Aluminum bp?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom