SUUNTO Compass: SK7 or SK6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USVet96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Trying to gauge intrest in these compasses. I know the "Gold Standard" if you will is the SK7.

I do like the SK6 [and SK5 for that matter but they dont make it any longer].

I like the flat face and panel of the SK6 but have never held one or used one.

Any comments from users would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS - Any idea of the viewing [tilt] angle on the SK6, and why the display face on the SK6 is more of a yellowish tint compared to white of the SK7

USVet

Personally I bought the SK7 with the DSS boot. Not sure how they justify charging $100 for this thing but apparently it is like you said the "gold standard".

I like the SK7 don't get me wrong. Don't have anything bad to say about it. I'm just curious about it in comparison to the SK6. I'm a former military guy and used a compass that was similar in shape and design to the SK6.

The price unfortunately "is what it is" lol so I can't worry about that.

If it works then price is irrelevant really.

I have an SK7 with DSS boot. My wife has an SK6. The tilt angle is a little better on the SK7, but it's not that big of a deal.
I like the fact that the SK7 has a DSS boot for it, because the original mount for it is pretty tall. I don't like the SK7's original wrist mount.
The Sk6 has a much lower profile. The SK6's OD green is made of a hard plastic, which at first I thought might be sort of brittle but it seems to be pretty durable.

The SK6 does look cool, and I like that it's smaller and lower in height.

-Mitch

Is the SK6 still being made?

SK6 is still in the Suunto catalog so I would assume so.

I have the SK5 and like that the original fabric strap can be easily replaced with bungee, no need for an aftermarket bungee mount. However, I did notice that my SK5 needle has started to hang up when diving, seems fine on the surface, so I maybe shopping for a replacement soon. This one only lasted ten years.

Do you notice any viewing problems with the SK6? The reason I ask is because the surface display, if I am not mistaken, is of an off-white color and not as white as compared to the SK7. It looks to me like it, the SK6, would be a little harder to read, especially at depth because of this difference.

Have you noticed this, or any reading differences between the two?

Thanks

I've never dove the SK6. My wife said that she's never had any problems with viewing it on a dive.

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom