Resetting Computer to sell.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking about upgrading my computer, If I reset before selling, will that erase all that cause any problem with the new owner? I have a suunto cobra, and I'm thinking about getting a cobra 3.

How are you going to reset it?

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer, If I reset before selling, will that erase all that cause any problem with the new owner? I have a suunto cobra, and I'm thinking about getting a cobra 3.

It MAY actually be better to leave the data there. If your selling the computer and say it has 35 dives on it, the lifetime dive log on the PDC will agree with that and match up. It backs you up a little. However, if you say 20 and it says 50 :no:

Lol. Just saying it is something to consider. When people buy used computers, especially if they are OUT of warranty, it is nice to have something that CONFIRMS what the seller is saying. Not saying you are not an honest guy, but it does the buyer a little more piece of mind. If it IS out of warranty for example, but it DOES only have say 20 dives, then it was just used sparingly. See my point.

Lol. Just saying it is something to consider. When people buy used computers, especially if they are OUT of warranty, it is nice to have something that CONFIRMS what the seller is saying. Not saying you are not an honest guy, but it does the buyer a little more piece of mind. If it IS out of warranty for example, but it DOES only have say 20 dives, then it was just used sparingly. See my point.

With many dive manufacturers, the warranty only applies to the original purchaser.

That is true for some yes. Mostly though the warranty is implied from the original purchase date, whether it is the original owner or not. Suunto for example will not let you transfer warranties but as long as it is still under the "original warranty" time period, you could be the 4th owner and you are ok.

With ANY computer it is always best to check warranty info directly with the company. If that is not available, then good to know for certain actual usage amounts.

If the computer reset can be done easily with the supplied software, I'd recommend that you don't do it and let the buyer do it himself. Letting the buyer do it will help prevent any potential of him doubting what you told him about the history of the computer. It will make for a more credible transaction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom