Super stiff Cam bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickyF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have any ideas on how to soften new super stiff cam bands. The are extremely tough to get proper tension on tank.

Thanks / Ricky

Take them diving.. as often as possible :wink:

Soaking in water prior to use makes them easier to use, but not a lot.

Dive a lot.

(Sorry. I'm not being flippant. It's just that they get softer over time, but only if you use them.)

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky the best way to break them in is 'TREAT THEM ROUGH"!
Dive them like you stole them!
Sorry I have a buddy who I buy used vehicles from, he always tells me to drive them like I stole em! Turn up the radio when they make noise!

Stiff cam bands are an awesome thing!
Just make em looser with some in water therapy!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I had the same problem with my daughters new bcd. Couldn't get the right tension and would have a slipping tank occasionally. On one instance the captain walked over, grabbed the loose end of the cam strap, hurked hard on end, and simultaneously locked the cam in place. This 'broke-in' the strap, and it now has the perfect 'memory' soft spot for an AL80.

Grab them, bend them, massage them, and drown em. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Also go diving with them a lot. :wink:

Also if you undo the first threading you can tighten it a bit easier. You may have to feed some of the webbing yourself to get it real tight.
Don't forget to rethread before you snap the clamp shut.
Just be rough on it.

I had the same problem with my daughters new bcd. Couldn't get the right tension and would have a slipping tank occasionally. On one instance the captain walked over, grabbed the loose end of the cam strap, hurked hard on end, and simultaneously locked the cam in place. This 'broke-in' the strap, and it now has the perfect 'memory' soft spot for an AL80.
Is "Hurked" the same as Horked ?

What I do when I get new bands is put them in HOT water I mean HOT and let them sit a while. Then take them to one of my tanks and strap it on. I strap it as tight as I can get it and in an hour the band has streched some. I then pull it off soak it on hot water again then strap it on the tank (again as tight as I can get it) and leave it over night. They then should be ready to go. I never had one slip after doing this.

I agree that it's particularly important to wet new bands before attaching a cylinder, because when they're new they'll stretch a bit when they're wet.

The other thing is, there's a way to use the cam buckle to repeatedly "ratchet" the band tight while fastening. Hard to explain unless it's demonstrated. Works best when you un-thread the webbing from the last slot in the buckle. You basically tighten the buckle slowly; then slowly loosen it again while pulling the slack through the buckle; then repeat as needed.

I agree that it's particularly important to wet new bands before attaching a cylinder, because when they're new they'll stretch a bit when they're wet.

The other thing is, there's a way to use the cam buckle to repeatedly "ratchet" the band tight while fastening. Hard to explain unless it's demonstrated. Works best when you un-thread the webbing from the last slot in the buckle. You basically tighten the buckle slowly; then slowly loosen it again while pulling the slack through the buckle; then repeat as needed.

Thanks! I use the rachet technique, but these are the stiffest bands i have ever run across. They are even hard to thread through the buckle! I have tried HOT water even with fabric softener in it. I think i might "BOIL" the darn things!! LOL:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom