Henderson vs. Neo Sport and 7mm vs 5mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am finishing up my last open water dive this coming sat and during the first dive, I used a farmer John/step-in 2 peice wetsuit at 5mm. I like the idea of the farmer 2-in-1. The brand I used was called Henderson and the LDS sells them for $150 for each part, which looks like the same price online. I also saw a similar setup from the company called "Neo Sport", which is owned by Henderson. Each part sells for $70. I looked at both websites and i really can't find a difference other than one is half the price.

Also I plan on diving around Rochester, NY. Would a 7mm be better than a 5mm for me? Would a 7mm be to hot if the water is in the 60's?

Regards,

Hostage

I think that Neo Sport is the low end (cheap) brand for Henderson.

Indeed Benny is correct NeoSport is low end Henderson. I dive a NeoSport 7mm here in NorCal, and would strongly advise you to stay away from it. It doesn't stretch well, and it doesn't keep me warm. So I bought a drysuit.

In terms of warmth, no you will not overheat in it and there is no such thing as being too warm in the water. I took my 7mm to Hawaii and was diving it in 75*F water without batting an eye. It was very comfortable there. I did one dive without any wetsuit at all and while fun, anything more than one and I'd want my wetsuit back.

Go for the 7mm, and get the Henderson Hyperstretch.

I am starting to think about maybe getting a dry suit. I do have a 2mm shorty that I got for water sports that I also plan to use in Belize. Though it seems like many people who have gone this route I am end up getting a dry suit.

7mm isn't going to be "too hot" in 60F water temperature. I don't see why you would want less thermal protection in Rochester, NY. Go with Henderson.

The best option would be to go with a drysuit of course.

The combination is giong to give me 14mm core and 7mm on legs/arms. It will cost a total of $140 for the Neo Sport, the Henderson is over about $300. The Neosport is 7mm, while the Henderson at the LDS is 5mm. I do in a quary for my first OW Dive in a rented 10/5mm setup. I noticed it got cold at some points, but the LDS owner said it was springs that made it cold. I see Dry suits cost about $700 new starting and go way up.

I see a pinnacle for the same price 14mm/7mm Setup. I think I want to go with that and then get a dry suit in a year or two. I would rather go with the insurance of spending less right now than spend it and regret it if i don't stay in the sport. I would like to gain more xp as I am not full certified yet, need 1 more OW dive this weekend. For $140 for the Pinnacle Escape (both john and jacket), it seems worth it.

Back
Top Bottom