Philadelphia Quarry, Tennessee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dyersburg originally. I have aunts, uncles and cousins in Memphis (and Brownsville, Frog Jump, etc). I moved to Knoxville in 1990.
I'll be back in Dyersburg in May visiting my parents. Mermett isn't too far from there. Would like to try it out sometime.

does anyone know the bottom temps in august. Planning on going there this weekend (August 13th).

does anyone know the bottom temps in august. Planning on going there this weekend (August 13th).

Did you go? Sorry, I didn't get notice of your post in time. I would have said the 2nd thermocline would be 58-63. How close was I?

I went the 14th of august and vis was not real good. 15 to 20 ft vis down to 25 feet, with a slow drop in vis down to 5 feet at 60fsw. I took my new GoPro housing down on the first dive to make sure it worked, and it did. I actually swam with the camera in the housing after the first dive with my kids.

surface temps were a balmy 80-82 degrees so the kids really enjoyed that. There were only about 10 people at the quarry. First thermocline was at 15 feet down to about 75 degrees, second thermocline was at about 25 feet down to 68 degrees. The last thermocline was at 60 feet all the way down to 52 degrees. Thankfullly, I dive dry so I was none the worse for the wear. :shocked2:

I went the 14th of august and vis was not real good. 15 to 20 ft vis down to 25 feet, with a slow drop in vis down to 5 feet at 60fsw. I took my new GoPro housing down on the first dive to make sure it worked, and it did. I actually swam with the camera in the housing after the first dive with my kids.

surface temps were a balmy 80-82 degrees so the kids really enjoyed that. There were only about 10 people at the quarry. First thermocline was at 15 feet down to about 75 degrees, second thermocline was at about 25 feet down to 68 degrees. The last thermocline was at 60 feet all the way down to 52 degrees. Thankfullly, I dive dry so I was none the worse for the wear. :shocked2:

Sounds like a typical day at the quarry alright.

I'm not familiar with GoPro. Did you post some photos? My husband does underwater video and I have an Ikelite housing for my Nikon D80 DSLR. Haven't had an opportunity to use it lately, though. :(
I'm not dry suit certified, but I have a semi. Every little bit helps but not nearly so nice as a full dry suit. Be safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom