Newbie OBX Diving - Staying in OBX - Corolla / Swan - AUGUST

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GRAPE APE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Tried scanning some previous threads - so if the topic or question is already answered please feel free to redirect me.

I was OW certified last year. 10 post cert dives in, planning on getting AOW this summer to get comfortable at depth. Will be vacationing with group - and will include two other newly certified divers - one just certified, one to be certified. In summary - inexperienced all around. I'll prob have 20 dives in by then and be the most experienced of the three... I know that isn't the most promising sentence but have to start somewhere.

We are staying in the 4x4 section - and I am trying to make plans to get wet, but want to dive SAFELY with a guide for sure. We all have families so hesitant to head down to Hatteras for a boat dive. (Just means stranding the wives and kids all day).

Given all the above any recommendations? Saw Nagshead Diving that offers shore dives (no more than 30 ft depth) - HURON, CARL GERHARD, KYZICKES. So far that seems to be the best bet in my mind, but not having the experience of the area, operators, or diving in general - thought the good friends on Scubaboard could lend some advice. I know getting through the surf will probably be a new experience. Blue water is always better but we are all from New York so 7mm is standard gear, and my version of cold is likely not what you guys consider cold.

THANKS IN ADVANCE - This site s great place. Learning so much every visit.

To get to the blue water, you will need to drive down to Hatteras. The diving out of Nags Head is very similar to NY/NJ diving with regards to water color (green), viz and temperature. Hatteras, on the other hand, is generally blue, clear and in the 80's. I got to Duck every year and do the two hour drive each way to Hatteras.

The diving can be advanced, with a long boat ride to the sites, sometime rough water, deep with current. Other times, the ocean is flat as glass, there is no current and the diving is easy. Hiring a guide is a great idea for your first dives.

I was in a similar position last year when I stayed in Corrolla, same type of expirence level. I did a shore dive that was worthless could not see anything, so conditions have to calm for your shore diving.
I went out with OBX diving out of Nags Head, The Dive Boat left a couple of miles out of Manteo so you'll have at least that drive. We dove the Jackson on a perfect day and great conditions warm water, great Vis the Boat crew said it was one of the best days of the year and the water was in the low 70's rare they said for that area. This was early September I dove in a 3MIL but most times they said you needed a 5mil.
A little about the outfit, I thought they were very professional and safe, however I didn't appreciate being reminded about the tip jar half a dozen times, and if your tank has less then 500 psi when they check it at the shop they will try and clip you for 75 bucks cleaning fee(per tank). I was warned about this and had more then enough air left. They grilled hot dogs during the surface interval which was a nice touch though I don't eat meat.
I might use them again this year as I want to dive the U-85, or I might drive to Hatteras to assure blue water diving.
I guess I have got used to the friendlyness of Aquatic safari's(Wilmington) and Olympus(MoreHead) that was missing with OBX Diving.

Update: Ended up doing a shore dive with Nagshead Diving Scuba Diving on the Outer Banks of NC, OBX, Wreck Diving, Scuba Instruction, Beach Dives, Lodging, Bed and Breakfast, B & B, Universal Referral location<title> <pre id="line1"><<span class="start-tag">meta</span><span class="attribute-name"> name</sp

The staff was awesome - the dive was great. I bothered them with a ton of phone calls ahead of time as we had to switch our dive day due to a skim boarding ankle tweak by a friend of mine. Followed their directions easily and located the trailer with rental gear without issue. Geared up on a beach access road in Kill Devil Hills. Three staff for 6 divers that morning. Being unfamiliar with salt water diving (other than a few resort Caribbean courses), the staff took all the time to answer my questions. They gave a great pre-dive briefing, and instructed us well. Would definitely recommend their operation. $30 guided tour to wrecks in 20ft of water about 150-200 yards offshore. THANKS FOR A GREAT DIVE.

Water temp was warm - 76 degrees, visibility was great for that area - approx 15-20 foot. Surf was 1.5 feet or so (my guess) - and the north to south current that day was fairly stronger than usual (per divemasters). One staff member swam out ahead and marked the buoy - impossible for an "out-of-towner" to locate otherwise. The surface swim was exhausting - a lot of work to fight the current. Actually had a woman in the group who barely made the swim and aborted because she was too exhausted. I would never aborted but rather shortened my dive time by resting on buoy - but that's a different story.

Dove the triangle wrecks - Carl Gerhard and Kyzickes. Plenty of sealife to see. Pufferfish, starfish, bass, jelly-fish, tons of blue crabs, tons of other fish. Strong surge to contend with which was a new experience to me but actually quite fun.

The shop did a great job and my only regret was not getting a souvenir (sticker or shirt) from their shop. Thanks to Pam and the other two divemasters (names forgotten by now thanks to "properly" vacationing for a week in OBX). The reason this dive appealed to me was that it allowed me to dive a shipwreck with friends and still get me back to the 4x4 section of OBX in time for lunch with my family. It's not a blue water dive, but was well worth taking my gear down and getting 45 minutes of fun bottom time in. If you are looking for a quick dive without the full day charter - and don't require the blue water (we were from NY so this was still better than the norm) - I would recommend them for sure.

Back
Top Bottom