Question for Zeagle BC Owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi USVet,

I have a Zeagle Stiletto and love it. I have heard many negative reviews on the ripcord system, mostly as Jim points out it is not easy to rethread. I have not to date tried to pull the ripcord just to see how it feels. I'm sure some may admonish me for not practicing. I know where it is and know how to use it if an emergency did arise. The two rear pockets are dumpable, but practically speaking I find it hard to reach back with two good hands to find the release tab. I only put small amount there so don't have to dump in an emergency anyways, #1 lb in either pocket.

For me I discounted the negative reviews since how many times do you pull the weights out of other BC's as well? I hear sometimes the weight pockets can fall out if not properly placed. I've heard that some of the pockets are not intuitive to release. Bottom line is you can pretty much find someone with a negative review of your gear.

I like the Zeagle systems so well when my 13 year old daughter needs her own gear that is the BC we will look for her. I wouldn't trust her life to any other product.

For predive checks I just point out to my dive buddy the red ripcord tab, same as I would right hand release on weight belt.

I also like the American flag logo on the left shoulder harness.:D

Thank you for all you and your fellow soldiers to for our nation and keep us safe.

fun and safe diving.

i own a zeagle tec
its like the ranger with a bigger blader and some extra d rings
the rip cord is on the left hip normaly its puled with the right hand i dont see a resion you cound not use your left hand to pull it i never tryed it

there is a video on how it works here
User Guides - Zeagle Dive Systems

if you need pic ill post them

I currently own a Zeagle Ranger. I absolutely love it, personally.

That being said my LDS owner hates it and so do a bunch of my dive buddies. Luckily I have found a fairly consistent dive buddy who also dives a Zeagle so that problem has pretty much resolved itself.

Having been a Navy Corpsman I can tell you that the Zeagle BC probably would not be a good choice for you based on the presentation of injuries you have presented.

The Zeagle Ripcord is on your left hand side angled towards your right hand. This makes for a "lawn mower stater" type pull that is very intuitive and easy to get the hang of. However based on the (self reported) inability to utilize the right hand in this fashion you would have to perform a "cross draw, calvary style" of the ripcord. Sure it can be done, but the question is would it provide for more injuries down the line?

Second is the fact of the cord being woven through the BC itself. While I am sure you could accomplish the reweaving of the ripcord, it is difficult for me to do with 2 good hands. I doubt I personally could do it with only one good hand.

On the upside Zeagle BCs are completely customizable and interchangeable almost to the point of being a "soft BP/W" style set up.

Zeagle also makes custom BC's, perhaps you could contact a forum member (cant remember the name of hand but believe it is ZeagleSystems) and ask about the price of getting a right hand side ripcord BC. This would negate the first problem with removal of the weights leaving only the second problem of re-threading the ripcord.

Although come to think of it they have those weaving adapters for MOLLE gear so it might be possible to develop a piece that would help with the weaving of the ripcord in much the same fashion.

I personally would recommend you A. talk to someone from Zeagle about your "disability" (I use that term EXTREMELY loosely) specific mods. and B. Try out a Zeagle prior to flopping down the cash for one.

If you ever make it out to us cold water folks out here in San Diego I would be happy to let you "test" out my Ranger...

Thanks to everyone so far that has contributed their thoughts to this discussion.

While the repacking of a deployed weight release system conceivably could be a pain to do with one good hand, and may take me maybe a little longer than someone else, there is NOTHING that I cannot do - within reason here of course - with a little practice and some time spent with the rig.

I do not see that as in insurmountable goal to accomplish.

What I need to find out from you guys, and girls, is with a Zeagle style of BC where the ripcord is on the left hand side, is this too much of an issue to pull with the left hand? Like now, on my Sherwood with integrated weights, both the right and left side weight pockets pull away. With the left side weight, (place your hands out in front with palms towards your chest) I just close my left hand on the handle and pull it out and away and release. I then use my left hand again on the right side, only this time I rotate my hand over so I grab the handle with my thumb on top of it and my pointer finger below it, pull it out and away and release. That's what I do now.

I think with the Zeagle, if the ripcord is on the left side and it is only a pull out and away type of action then it should work PERFECTLY (I'm trying to do this in my head but it seems OK). Actually it seems like it would be great.

Am I thinking this through right?

Thank you again for everyone's feedback and ALL of your assistance. And devil if I'm in CA I will take you up on that offer.

I am in Miami so if anyone knows where I can physically try one on please share.

USVet

As a fellow vet (even though you are CHAIR force!) :shocked2: I figured I would see what I could accomplish.

I dug my Zeagle Ranger out (same exact ripcord as is on all other Zeagle BCs) and discovered that it is possible to remove the ripcord with just the left hand. This can be accomplished with a straight away from the body pull instead of the typical cross body draw I have always performed with the right hand.

I also discovered that while it is difficult (as in EXTREMELY so) to rethread the ripcord with just the left hand it is not impossible. I actually had the same amount of difficulty as I do with two hands. I did use my right knee to help facilitate this but it was accomplished.

Therefore it looks at this point as if a Zeagle with a ripcord might actually be semi-beneficial to you. Thus I retract my previous statement.

That being said the rethreading of the ripcord is still a PITA but as i stated it can be done with only the left hand.

The other option that I had not contemplated previously is perchance you might be able to use your right hand as a "claw type device" and simply hook it in the ripcord and use your elbow/shoulder on your right side to pull it out?

Hopefully this information will assist you...

Alot of the dive shops here have them, If not I know Force-e in riviera beach stocks them, and im sure there is a LDS down there that sells them since the Company is based out of Zepherhills

It appears as though Austin's Diving Center is an authorized Zeagle dealer, however their "online store" has no Zeagle BCs on it.....

Also Divers Den Miami appears to be an authorized Zeagle retailer )no website though)

Grove Scuba | Miami's PADI 5 Star IDC Scuba Dive | Snorkel Shop!

as well as: (some duplicates may appear)

Grove Scuba, Inc. Distance : 0 Mile(s)
Product lines :
3310 Mary Street
Miami, FL 33133
305-443-1313

Underwater Unlimited Inc Distance : 4.42 Mile(s)
Product lines : Zeagle
5749 SW 40th Street
Miami, FL 33155
305-661-0099

Austins Diving Center Inc. Distance : 5.19 Mile(s)
10525 South Dixie Hwy
Miami, FL 33156
305-665-0636

South Beach Divers Distance : 8.01 Mile(s)
850 Washington Ave.
Miami Beach, FL 33139
305-531-6110

Divers Den Miami Distance : 11.09 Mile(s)
12614 Sw 88Th Street
Miami, FL 33186
305-595-2010

Divers Discount Florida Distance : 26.49 Mile(s)
2071 SOUTH FEDERAL HIGHWAY
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316
954-761-1426

Sea Experience Distance : 26.49 Mile(s)
Product lines :
801 Seabreeze Boulevard
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl 33316
954-627-4631

Underseas Sports Distance : 29.33 Mile(s)
Product lines :
1450 N. Federal Hwy.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33304
954-564-8661

The Scuba School Distance : 32.99 Mile(s)
3331 E Oakland Park Blvd
Ft Lauderdale, FL 33308
954-566-6344

Monkey Diver, Inc. Distance : 32.99 Mile(s)
Product lines :
4625 Poinciana Street
Lauderdale By The Sea, Fl 33308
305-790-1444

USVet, you might want to PM ScottZeagle from this board. I know Zeagle has in the past worked with injured divers to modify their BCs to better fit their needs. Off hand, I can not think of a reason that the ripcord could not be modified for left hand use. It is very possible that Zeagle can modify the BC of your choice (assuming it normally comes with the ripcord release) to left hand release instead of the standard right hand for a reasonable price. It is sure worth the PM.

USVet, you might want to PM ScottZeagle from this board. I know Zeagle has in the past worked with injured divers to modify their BCs to better fit their needs. Off hand, I can not think of a reason that the ripcord could not be modified for left hand use. It is very possible that Zeagle can modify the BC of your choice (assuming it normally comes with the ripcord release) to left hand release instead of the standard right hand for a reasonable price. It is sure worth the PM.

That is the user name I was trying to think of earlier! Thanks herman.

Although it appears as though the typical ripcord will release left handed. Granted i have not tested this out below 0 FSW yet....

As a fellow vet (even though you are CHAIR force!) :shocked2: I figured I would see what I could accomplish.

I dug my Zeagle Ranger out (same exact ripcord as is on all other Zeagle BCs) and discovered that it is possible to remove the ripcord with just the left hand. This can be accomplished with a straight away from the body pull instead of the typical cross body draw I have always performed with the right hand.

I also discovered that while it is difficult (as in EXTREMELY so) to rethread the ripcord with just the left hand it is not impossible. I actually had the same amount of difficulty as I do with two hands. I did use my right knee to help facilitate this but it was accomplished.

Therefore it looks at this point as if a Zeagle with a ripcord might actually be semi-beneficial to you. Thus I retract my previous statement.

That being said the rethreading of the ripcord is still a PITA but as i stated it can be done with only the left hand.

The other option that I had not contemplated previously is perchance you might be able to use your right hand as a "claw type device" and simply hook it in the ripcord and use your elbow/shoulder on your right side to pull it out?

As you have done ALOT of work to help me out doc I'll eat the "Chair Force" but I can say with PRIDE however that I was NOT "Chairborne" lol.

I really appreciate everyone's effort. As per the release that is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear and I am extremely PLEASED that it was a result of 1st hand knowledge and not simply a supposition. I use the right hand in the exact fashion you mentioned, almost to hold things in place while the left hand is working. By utilizing this method, in worst case scenarios where I would have to drop weights, I could simply pull the 1 handle (left side) in a natural, for me, method and be done with it; rather than the left hand left weight release THEN left hand across, upside down, right pull and weight release method I employ now. This would save extremely valuable time during an actual emergency IMO.

Thanks for the locations as well. I know 1st hand that Grove does not carry then, neither does Divers Den or Divers Direct (key largo). I am not sure about the others as I have not called around yet, or checked their webpages.

I also think I will contact Mr. Zeagle to see what he thnks. Again, I do not know specifically what model might work best as I have not seen the lineup. Then again, it might even be BETTER to see if they can help me out with some sort of custom rig that will help assist me with my physical limitations a little better than a standard fit.

I have heard Mr. Zeagle to be a top notch gentleman, and have heard nothing but great comments and regards about the Zeagle corporation as a whole; so I am really hopeful that Mr. Zeagle, and Zeagle Corp., will be able to help out a fellow diver and Veteran in serious need of help.

I have to take my hat off once again to all of the fine people here at ScubaBoard. You guys, and girls, continually go above and beyond to help those that need it. I try to do the same as much as I can, and whenever I can, and it's a really nice feeling knowing people care.

Thank you everyone. Seriously, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

And if someone knows Mr. Zeagle personally, if you could please ask him to review this thread, or PM me, or even email me at USVet96@gmail.com that would be great.

Thank you again.

USVet

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom