US Congressman Takes Hit for Flying Flag during Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The branches of the Armed Forces routinely bring the flag underwater and do reenlistments with it underwater. Army, Air Force and Navy I know do this.

It's just a flag. Get outraged about the things that REALLY matter. That's what I think. But then again, I am not a flag person. :)
Absolutely. Let's be outraged about the danglies, the lack of a long hose primary, the crappy fins, the extra D-rings...

I seriosuly doubt our founding fathers envisioned this kind of dsiplay of the flag. But on the other hand I don't think our founding fathers would be upset or find it disrespectful.

The point people seem to consistently miss is that the intent of the law is often more important than the letter of the law and the intent is clearly intended to proscibe practices that show disrepect to the flag, with one enormous exception.

I may get extremely annoyed at a protester dishonoring a flag (and I tend to think it's pretty stupid to dishonor the flag when you are really peeved at the politicians who started what ever it is you are protesting) but I am none the less still willing to fight for their constitutional right to freedom of speech and expression - even when it extends to disgracing the flag. It is ironically enough one of the fundamental liberties that generations of soldiers have fought and died for and one of the things that makes this country truly free.

The American Tanker in Apra Harbor, Guam has had a United States flag on it.
I have also seen pictures of U.S. Navy reenlistment ceremonies that were conducted underwater with a flag present.

-Mitch

Go Alan!! I am happy to see your flag flying anytime, anywhere because I know you have a love for it!

I know this...

Alan West also went diving with SUDS soldiers in 2008... before he was a congressman. Good for him. Glad to see he's still getting in the water now that he's probably a little busier.

Stunt? I dont think so. People bring flags down on shipwrecks all the time, and pose by the flag.

Here's a picture from 2008 of a dive (also with West - although he's not IN the photo)

DSC_00095.jpg

While as a citizen, we enjoy our First Amendment rights. And, I would not expect someone that has no military experience to understand proper flag protocol. Just as most civilians don't know that flying the flag at night with out illumination is considered disrespectful by the military.

However, as a former military officer, he should know that this is disrespectful of the flag. This is an inappropriate use of the flag and he would likely be disciplined if he were still on active duty. Again, as a civilian, he can do whatever he wants; however, as a Congressman, he should adhere to military/governmental protocols while handling the US flag.

I seriosuly doubt our founding fathers envisioned this kind of dsiplay of the flag. But on the other hand I don't think our founding fathers would be upset or find it disrespectful.

Our Founding Fathers wouldn't even have recognized that flag ... theirs only had 13 stars on it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Our Founding Fathers wouldn't even have recognized that flag ... theirs only had 13 stars on it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not to mention how they'd freak at the sight of a man breathing under water. Could you imagine the cleanup on aisle 5 when their brains slide out their ears?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom