Stranded Pilot Whales need your help in Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the link. Yes great news indeed. The entire volunteer effort continues to be an admiral effort by all those involved. Divers from Indian Valley SCUBA helped out over Memorial Day Weekend and another group of IVS divers plan to help out again at the end of July when we return to Key Largo. Working with the Pilot Whales has been a moving experience for all those that were able to volunteer.

Thanks for the link. Yes great news indeed. The entire volunteer effort continues to be an admiral effort by all those involved. Divers from Indian Valley SCUBA helped out over Memorial Day Weekend and another group of IVS divers plan to help out again at the end of July when we return to Key Largo. Working with the Pilot Whales has been a moving experience for all those that were able to volunteer.

That's great that you mentioned that working with Pilot Whales have been a moving experience for all. Pilot Whales don't seem to get alot of attention in the media...unless they strand. Which helps me point this out. The WWF (and I don't mean wrestling...lol) put out this article on how certain species of cetaceans just don't seem to get any attention compare to alot of the more known cetaceans. Here is a link to the story:
WWF - Disappearing dolphins clamour for attention at whale summit
There's also a link to their PDF file they put out that points out the lesser known cetaceans that need help.
http://assets.panda.org/downloads/small_cets_report_4_web.pdf

Its interesting reading, and I thought I would share this anyone interested.

Lock Washer

Those are good articles - thank you for posting. Some (countries and/or individuals) might ask "Why bother?" And I think of this quote by Sylvia Earle:

"No one knows how long it might take to recover from the devastation to natural systems already wrought by human pressures, nor can anyone guarantee that in the long run there will be a place for humankind in the mix."

Sylvia Earle Sea Change: A Message of the Oceans, 1995

Thank you both for the messages and articles. Excellent information which is required to help raise awareness on whales and worldwide conservancy efforts. Working with the Marine Mammal Conservancy and the stranded Pilot Whales in the Florida Keys has taught our entire groupthat very little is known about Pilot Whales. We are grateful for the education received working with the MMC and are eager to help volunteer again in late July

Thank you both for the messages and articles. Excellent information which is required to help raise awareness on whales and worldwide conservancy efforts. Working with the Marine Mammal Conservancy and the stranded Pilot Whales in the Florida Keys has taught our entire groupthat very little is known about Pilot Whales. We are grateful for the education received working with the MMC and are eager to help volunteer again in late July

If your group is interested in raising awareness on whales and worldwide conservancy efforts. There's a highly endangered porpoise that lives in the Gulf of California called the "Vaquita" also known as the Gulf of California Harbor Porpoise. Its numbers are down to 250 left, and scientist feel this will be the next cetacean to pass into extinction along with the Chinese Yantze River Dolphin "The Baiji" which just recently went extinct.

A couple of groups are working with them trying to save them and raise awareness...here's a youtube video that will catch your eye.
YouTube - ‪CEDO's Rare Vaquita Video‬‏

Cedo Intercultural - Vaquita
Vaquita - Last Chance for the Desert Porpoise
¡Viva Vaquita! - Home

Lock Washer

Am I the only one keeping this thread alive?....lol.

Anyway, seen this article:

Activist urges euthanasia for ailing whale stranded in Keys - Florida Keys - MiamiHerald.com

I read an article like this, and this is why these animals rights activists lose creditability with me.

If Russ Rector really cared about dolphins...he should be more concerned about the Mekong Dolphin now facing extinction....see article

Survey: Mekong dolphins on brink of extinction - World news - World environment - msnbc.com

Lock Washer

Pilot Whale 300 is making amazing progress since my last visit 10 days ago. She is swimming freely most of each day and only requires slight touch when being held by volunteers. 300 is getting stronger and the MMC put up a bigger swimming pen in the main rescue area to give the Pilot Whale more room to run. Volunteers are still needed badly for all shifts so please call the MMC at (305)451-4774 if you are in South Florida and can lend a helping hand.

Wow I have to give thanks to those that have been giving for so long. I am too far away but I want people to know this effort does not go unnoticed. I have been silently watching the progress for months.

Thank You

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom