My First Lion Fish Meal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's get back to the OP's subject: FOOD :cheers:

How many ounces of filet are you getting off of the average LF?
(avg here is around 9 inches)

btw...
Anybody wondering about ciguartera poisoning from eating a thing that voraciously eats reef fish? LF are gluttonous. You might say I'm alarmist, but ciguartera poisoning is nasty nasty stuff.

killing lionfish just starts a trend for many scuba divers that had a lifelong belief that we are not to interfere. What happens if the lionfish becomes more rarer, where are the divers going to fulfill their blood lust?

killing lionfish just starts a trend for many scuba divers that had a lifelong belief that we are not to interfere. What happens if the lionfish becomes more rarer, where are the divers going to fulfill their blood lust?

Seriously? Rarer? Have you read the bit about lion fish live to eat and #$%^#? A good lion fish blood lust sound productive. If we could throw in some vigilante lion fish killing as well, maybe we can make a dent. The lionfish hunting hobby doesn't seem to be enough......

killing lionfish just starts a trend for many scuba divers that had a lifelong belief that we are not to interfere.

Too late. The reason Lionfish are proliforating in places like Coz, where they are not endemic, is because man already interfered.

A tasty way to enjoy the fresh flavor of LF is in Ceviche.

Before you head out for the dive/day make ceviche in a large ziplock WITHOUT any fish. After a successful dive, LF in hand, add your cleaned and chopped LF meat to the ziplock. Shake, wait 5mins for the lime to do it's thing, then enjoy the lunch. Anothor ziplock of chips or bollios will make it an easy meal/snack. This is good use for the smaller LF since they won't make a decent grill item.

Share it around the dive boat, great way to introduce the flavour to the uninitiated.

The ceviche will keep if you need to wait until you get back to the dock for a cold one!

Too late. The reason Lionfish are proliforating in places like Coz, where they are not endemic, is because man already interfered.
But this is the first time that everyone is encouraged to kill for the sake of 'conservation'. It changed from a observation sport to a kill sport.

There've been underwater hunters as long as there have been underwater humans. Yes, the lionfish invasion has more of us hunting, but I know of no one who has gone off the deep end to kill whatever swims by. Conservationists are still conservationists. Those of us hunting lionfish for protection of the reef are likely to keep hunting lionfish - not develop a sudden blood-lust for the very species that we are trying to protect.

As for lionfish becoming rare, please do a little reading about the devastation they are causing and the low likelihood that we will be able to control them at all - other than the extremely local areas where many hunters are constantly removing them from the water. Either you are trolling or you are woefully ignorant on the topic of lionfish in the Atlantic and Caribbean basins.

So what's the point of creating this open season on fish hunting in an environment that is a protected environment? In the long term, you will just end up with lionfish that are hides more from humans. Its like the vigilantism, one you officially sanction them, there is no putting them back in the box.

Eventually, the environment will come to an equilibrium, with or without the other reef fishes, regardless of human intervention. Studies in other areas shows they maintain the health of the reef, and in the long term, will end up with reef fish that are more wary of lionfish's behavior.

Ah! You ARE trolling!
I'd list some places that you could read more, but I suspect it'd be a waste of my time.... CV, you wanna give it a try?

Thanks for the props, Dave. I know some of us care about preserving indigenous reef fishes.
Hey Lanny! You cut up the veggies, I'll ream the limes and bring the totopos.

Trolling? I come as a counterpoint to the senseless killings, which according to many studies, shows it is useless and others showing it has a negative effect the reef. It is just that I have never seen so much excitement in talking about killings on these forums, the non-spearfishing ones in specific. Its as if I have mistakenly came upon the safari big game hunting forum.

Back
Top Bottom