West Palm Beach Diving in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Amazz said, it should be really good diving. Sept to Nov is always good. Like the Harley Guy above, I'm a fan of JDC and Jimmy's Scuba Adventures.

As for BHB, check out Jet's link. Lots of nice people there.

I'll probably be across diving with JASA on the 11/12th October, still to book so dates not fixed yet :D

I would like to throw Hypnautical dive charters in the mix. Capt. John is great and will make sure you have a great time. He has a 6-pack catamaran. I personally don't like cattle boats so that's perfect for me. Give John a call and you won't be disappointed.

Boynton is IMO better than West palm. Deeper, larger ledges, cool marine life, etc. I like Underwater Explorers as an Op. They have a 34' boat, but only go out with 6, so nice and roomy.

Check them out.

West Palm is known for their Turtles and on the right day it can be awesome. But I have had better dives at Boynton and Jupiter....

Its all good!

I'd like to add my thanks, too. This is my first SB thread and post and I'm thrilled to see what's out there. Well, I knew what was out there after a dive buddy talked about SB for many, many surface intervals. :) I figured I'd sign up after 100 dives and here I am. I'm headed to WPB this week for two weeks so you'll see me poking around on FL-related posts!

Cheers!

West Palm Beach is the best kept secret in diving. A few years ago my kids and I did some diving on the Great Barrier Reef and after a couple of days my daughter said, "this place is really great but to be honest I like diving WPB better". you know how many dive trips to WPB I could have paid for with the price of three round trip tickets from the US to Sydney?!?!

I've been diving with Abernathy, Sandy and Vicki at Oceanquestscba, Capt Walker and "The Wetter the Better", the Narcosis, and one or two others. They've all got pros and cons but my two favorites are by far Sandy's Sunday and The Wetter the Better. Both will show you a great time and take you to the best dive sites for what you're looking for. Sandy's Sundays is a little smaller - if you've got any seasickness issues that would be my only caution. Both should be going out in October. Water temperatures will be comfortable with 3 mil suit. If the moon is out you DEFINTELY want to do some night diving - Sandy will be glad to take you out, I'm guessing Capt Walker will as well. If you're considering getting any additional certs while you're there (advanced, enriched air, rescue ...) Sandy is a GREAT instructor and very flexible. She is also GREAT with youngsters (works a lot with the scouts) and people who aren't completely comfortable in the water. Have a great trip!

I lived and taught most of 2010 in this area, and the diving is world-class, yet less well known than the FL Keys.
I agree with the recommendations above. Great diving & lots of awesome dive ops to choose from. Most do run weekdays (less crowded) usually only 1x/day with 2x/day on weekends.

Lake Park Marina
+1 Abernathy Scuba Adventures & crew of the Deep O (Capt Sean & crew are great)
+1 Little Deeper Charter (Lynne and Dave are awesome)
+1 Wetter the Better - Bill Walker
Hypnotical - specializes in spearfishing

Riveria Beach Marina
+1 Ocean Quest Sandy's Sunday - Sandy & Vicky :D
+1 Narcosis

Jupiter - deeper & more current, but bigger critters too. Emerald Charters is always a fun time.

Best shore dive in SoFL:
+1 x2 on BHB and the "Trolls" are the friendliest SBers.

Fav. SoFL dives: Delray Ledges & the Castor
+1 x2 on Boynton BEach and Underwater Explorers - ScubaKevDM & Wilsway on SB are awesome

WPB and surrounds are a great destination. You have tons of great options, so many awesome dives and best of all - hoards of friendly Scubaboarders as your hosts and dive pals.

That's the magic of Scubaboard. Have a wonderful trip and please share your experiences here in SB.

I am heading down to Singer Island arriving Saturday Oct 8th and leaving Saturday Oct 15th. I would like to dive a few days while I am there. I have been reading numerous posts about the operators in WPB and Jupiter. Sounds like the best operators are Jupiter Dive Center in Jupiter and Jim Abernathy in WPB/Riviera. Will there be enough divers during the week in order for the charters to go out? I have been to SC in the fall and found that people tend to dive only on the weekends and the boats do not go out during the week. If this is the case, it looks like the only day of diving will be Sunday Oct. 9th. Any guidance is appreciated.

What are the conditions like in early October?
I have been diving out of Singer Island for several years now. Pura Vida Divers is a very good shop on the island. They tie up their boat next to Abernethys' at the Lake Park Marina. IF it weren't for my bad shoulder, I would be down there this weekend and again in OCT and DEC.

Boats are usually full on weekends and sometime Fridays too. Depending on economics, shops will go out during week with much less than a full load. Ask about that when you book. Water temps in that area do not vary all that much. 70-73 +/- 3 deg mostly for bottom temps. Very nice diving when viz is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom