BCD's - brand, size, prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition the lift capacity of the BC should be taken into consideration as well. If you're diving in a cold water environment frequently where you will be wearing a lot more weight because you have a thicker wetsuit or eventually a drysuit you need a BC that will provide adequate lift. For example when I dive in my drysuit, I use 26-30lbs of weight depending on my undergarments. My first BC only had a lift capacity of 32lbs so virtually all of my lift capacity was going to support all of the weight I needed to get down. My new BC has a lift capacity of 60lbs so now I know it can support my weight and a tank more efficiently. Another feature I find very useful on a BC is the number of D rings. I like to have plenty of D rings that way I have plenty of options to attach things to my BC such as lift bags, lines, flash lights etc. or when not using those pieces of gear, lots of D rings allow me to change where I have my octo and gauges clipped to, to allow easier access depending on exposure suit, as well as to change drag and trim. I don't want to recommend a specific brand or style of BC because it all depends on your preference. I however, use a jacket style right now but plan on changing to a BP/W. I hope this helps.

I very recently got a new BCD myself! After doing a lot of research I ended up getting the Mares Icon. It is back inflate (my personal preference), has over 45 lbs. of lift, 5 steel D-Rings, weight integrated (Mares MRS Plus up to 36 lbs), a travel BCD, and is just an all around awesome BCD.

And another really big plus is the price. I believe Mares recently discontinued it, but at Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com (which is where I got mine) where it currently sells for $350.00! At my local LDS it was "On Sale" for $399, and list price is six hundred.

The link is: Mares Icon BC with MRS Plus Weight Pockets

Thats my choice, I would at least check it out, because I feel like thats a really good deal on a relatively 'high end' BCD.
Cheers

Greetings Sam and glad you asked about BC's before buying one!
I agree with most DO NOT BUY ONE YET!
Get your training and then rent different BC's trying them out before you buy any.
You will then have an idea what types of dives and what BC fits your needs.

As others mentioned you will have enough on your plate with the skills and learning to dive.
I have tried everything you can imagine in the BC range except a hoarse collar "old school" and they all were easy enough to dive with some practice.
I do have my favorites but that is for another time.
If you are struggling with a BC, try another if possible or spend some time mastering that particular model.
It takes a while to gain muscle memory or the awareness of where everything is and how to make it perform well.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep training....Keep Learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom